isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
I have stray voltage in my tank. Anyone have a volt meter to test the tank? Anyone with experience trouble shooting what epuipment is the problem. I have a grounding probe that i want to add but the wall socet is far from the sump and the probe won't reach. Any Ideas?

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You can get a cheap meter at Radio Shack... they're good to have around.

How do you know it's stray voltage? Are you getting zapped?

Basically you want to check for voltage while unplugging one device at a time. You can check with a meter, or by sticking your hand in the tank (not recommended).

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
I already got zapped and hard.lol dou you put the meter in the water? Howdoes that work?

You can get a cheap meter at Radio Shack... they're good to have around.

How do you know it's stray voltage? Are you getting zapped?

Basically you want to check for voltage while unplugging one device at a time. You can check with a meter, or by sticking your hand in the tank (not recommended).

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Easiest way to find stray voltage is to unplug each piece of equipment one at a time and dip your finger in! When your not getting zapped anymore, you found the culprit. It takes some balls but a little shock never killed anyone! Then again...

I would suspect either your heater or a powerhead. These are the most susceptible to stray voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Audi0s

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
+1, you can get harbor frieght volt meters for like 10 bucks I think. A meter is a great tool to have around. Also dont forget that grounding probes just add an easier path to ground, most likely increasing the current flow.

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
Does home depot carry that volt meter? Also My grounding probe does not reach the wall outlet can i do it through a extension? It says to plug it into the wall but its not long enough. Any suggestions.

+1, you can get harbor frieght volt meters for like 10 bucks I think. A meter is a great tool to have around. Also dont forget that grounding probes just add an easier path to ground, most likely increasing the current flow.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The grounding probe is usually with the 3 prong, where the 2 flat prongs are plastic and the circular prong is metal. If this is the case, any 3 prong extension cord will do (do not use 3 prong adapters) All it really is, is hooking a wire from your water in the tank, to a grounded outlet, technically you can hook it up to the concrete floor, antenna on the roof, or anything else that is grounded to the earth.

One additional thing, when using a grounding probe, I suggest to use a GFCI outlet. The GFCI will cut the power to your equipment when it detects an electrical leak (which the grounding probe will complete the circuit so the stray voltage can leak out)

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
Ok thanks i will use the 3 prong extension. As far as the gfci i only have 2 outlets in my living room. I would love to add another outlet but who know's how much that would run me. Any cheap any electricians on MR?lol

The grounding probe is usually with the 3 prong, where the 2 flat prongs are plastic and the circular prong is metal. If this is the case, any 3 prong extension cord will do (do not use 3 prong adapters) All it really is, is hooking a wire from your water in the tank, to a grounded outlet, technically you can hook it up to the concrete floor, antenna on the roof, or anything else that is grounded to the earth.

One additional thing, when using a grounding probe, I suggest to use a GFCI outlet. The GFCI will cut the power to your equipment when it detects an electrical leak (which the grounding probe will complete the circuit so the stray voltage can leak out)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: