Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (99%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
CO2 Scrubber...Who uses one?

Hi everyone, I've been reading that a CO2 scrubber helps keep pH up and it improves the way skimmer works. My pH used to drop on a regular until I read that leaving the window open can help keep it up. I've done just that lately but now it's getting cold and thought the CO2 scrubber would be a good alternative to leaving the window open. Also, the only one that I've seen for sale is on premiumaquatics.com (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-s...?fe_feedid=126). I read that the chemical that absorbs the CO2 is called sodalime which is a compound formed with sodium hydroxyde (lye) and calcium oxide (quicklime). I found a veterinary website that sells sodalime for $7.50 for a 3lb bag which is way cheaper than buying a $35 dollar replacement cartridge (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-s...?fe_feedid=126). So I figured I'd make my own by using a common RO filter canister, a refillable cartridge and the sodalime that I found online and just running attaching my skimmer airline from the skimmer to outside with the DIY CO2 scrubber "filtering" the incoming air. Does anybody have any experience with this piece of equipment? Other comments are also welcome..

Last edited by reefs4life; 11-16-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 AM
anyone? ideas..questions..comments?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Wes
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
I would have to see a store bought unit before I comment on your diy idea.

Air is a bit trickier than water when you are trying to get it to pass through a media evenly. It will take the path of least resistance and may not pass through the RO cartridge evenly.

Water also does this but to a lesser degree. So it may or may not work.

My guess is it may work but it will be less efficient than a cartridge designed for air flow and require media change more often.

It's also going to be difficult for you to determine how often to refill the cartidge.

If it were me I would be more inclined to buy the store bought device and figure out a DIY cartridge refill using the bulk media you found.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
I would have to see a store bought unit before I comment on your diy idea.

Air is a bit trickier than water when you are trying to get it to pass through a media evenly. It will take the path of least resistance and may not pass through the RO cartridge evenly.

Water also does this but to a lesser degree. So it may or may not work.

My guess is it may work but it will be less efficient than a cartridge designed for air flow and require media change more often.

It's also going to be difficult for you to determine how often to refill the cartidge.

If it were me I would be more inclined to buy the store bought device and figure out a DIY cartridge refill using the bulk media you found.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
Yeah I see what you mean about it passing through evenly. But as far as it being an RO cartridge, I think that's what it is, I mean at least from the picture I provided of the store bought one. And lastly, knowing when to change the media is very simple, soda lime is white but turn violet a it becomes exhausted, it says on the packaging and on a few things zone read about, which is the same exact thing as the store bought media

Sent from my iPod touch using Reefs
Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 PM
bump
Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (33)
Send a Private Message
put kalk in ur top off.

lol the pettiness of people amuses me...my child you are just a pawn and you just dont know it....
Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Bomb Technician (EOD)
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
reef

Go here

http://thefilterguys.biz/skimmer_media.htm

If You See Me Running You Better Catch-Up

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Want to Talk Chemistry ! The Reef Chemistry Forum
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thanks...that's exactly what I did on my own lol never saw anything to show me how to do it like the link provided but appareantly I got it right. And that media is just soda lime, which I mentioned already, which cost me 7.50 per 3lbs. We'll see how it works, I'm just waiting on the refillable cartridge and I'm good to go will post results on here if anyone is interested
Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
how did this work out for you? I'm thinking about doing it for my tank as my ph right now stays around 7.85 during the day and drops to 7.70 at night. Kalk doesnt do anything for me at this point.

315g DT, 80g Frag Tank, 100g Sump, ATB Skimmer, Tunze 2 x 6095 & 2 x 6105, Pacific Sun LED/T5 lighting
Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Skimmer Freak
Reefer Ratings: (84 (100%)
Friends: (74)
Send a Private Message
there's a article on RC on it and about the specific type of media

marineland custom 45g all in one cube, nano-box custom led w\2 antic powerbrites. mp10w bm nac5 hob, ac jr controller, bm 3 way doser