Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I started using the recommended dosage of 1ml per 10gal on the date this thread started (3/30) and two and a half weeks later my HA is practially gone. There is just a very, very small patch that is also on its way out. I had two huge clumps and pulling at it was not sufficient to get it out, but since starting the H203 dosing it was easier to pull off the rocks, and didn't grow back. I haven't noticed any adverse reaction yet.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I started using the recommended dosage of 1ml per 10gal on the date this thread started (3/30) and two and a half weeks later my HA is practially gone. There is just a very, very small patch that is also on its way out. I had two huge clumps and pulling at it was not sufficient to get it out, but since starting the H203 dosing it was easier to pull off the rocks, and didn't grow back. I haven't noticed any adverse reaction yet.
Last bit of it gone now.

nautilus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You can dose any sized tank. You can, actually recommended to dose h2o2 along with vodka. H2o2 used to target dinoflagellates and might also kill some beneficial bacteria. So, vodka dosing will give additional inorganic carbon for bacteria to consume for them to thrive during this battle with algae. However, there are also some info that bacteria in Biopellets reactor wont be disturbed. On my case, h2o2 + biopellets/vodka + microbacter7.

nautilus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I won't dip stony lps. I would squirt it with syringe or turkey baster or anything similar, around the infested area, then keep it wet for 5 mins then rinse it with tank water before tossing it back to tank. Honestly, I did dip my chalices ( still alive until now) before but I won't recommend it.

brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats only because you did systemic treatments.

In the link they differences in application, including ones that do not harm accessory organisms only the target

spot treatments, where direct 3% is placed onto the dinos, I know from first hand experience it will kill dinos in this way.

external tank treatments, where you remove an infested rock and treat in another container, that also works, there is no algae that can live through it.

I treat my tanks by draining them down to the substrate, and while the algae is exposed a couple drops is wicked into the algae bed via capillary action, wait two mins, refill the pico and it will dilute out the few drops used as a herbicide.
It transmits a far smaller portion into your tank, so the xenia will survive.

in tanks with decorative macros it can be detrimental for any portion to be in the water.

Last edited:

brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have permission from ReefMiser and Newman to repost these

this is not an atypical situation. With a certain method it can be replicated in any tank, let's run a test someone using a different way of applying it.

Any tank, any infestation can be removed and the before and after pics will look like this. The goal is not to spread oxidizer across your whole tank including the good organisms.

Another twist on the systemic dosing is to buy the spray pump version of peroxide, or put your own in a spray bottle.
For any tank with cyano, drain the tank down or take out the rocks and spray with a single pump, wait two mins emersed, set back in tank after rinsing and all the cyano will die, its rather amazing.

If anyone wants to test the method of spot treatments vs systemics lets post up a new round here, who's got some pests they don't like>

the below tank is infested with bryopsis and the second is basic green hair algae. I also have examples of red brush algae removal, invasive macroalgae removal etc

Attachments

• ReefMiserNR.com1.jpg
    ReefMiserNR.com1.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1,432
  • reefmiser2.jpg
    reefmiser2.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 1,491
  • Newmansperoxide1.jpg
    Newmansperoxide1.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 1,492
  • Newmansperoxide2.jpg
    Newmansperoxide2.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 1,498
Last edited:

brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another use for peroxide: front viewing glass. While the tank is drained, I use a paper towel and peroxide to wipe off the inside, preventatively, nothing ever grows on the glass like a green haze, Im seeing the minimal oxidation effects in the runoff to the tiny system are positive, not negative. It is a boost of redox thats for sure

I have always used an unnatural method of algae removal for the reefbowl, for years it was fire. whatever grew such as aiptasia, algae etc I just burned out with a lighter, worked just as well. I burned the pests with the tiny windproof lighters used for lighting grills, they can be dialed down to a pinpoint flame

The peroxide is now easier because I can angle a dropper into the tightest spot, or strategically drip it down live rock to land on the desired target, and it kills the target.

its one of many methods that work peroxide is a very handy cheat for algae issues where you can treat the spot emersed out of the water

Attachments

• MacroCloseup6.2011.1.jpg
    MacroCloseup6.2011.1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,441
Last edited:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I dont know I always hated when ppl said things like this r a band aid but I'm finding it to be true I used a sea hair to eat my hair alge when it was gone dinos took it's place its because there r too many nutrients in the water I've been debating pellets for a long time after seeing a tank run with them over s year I'm going for it

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i use it in all my tanks as a regular dosing agent bc of the positive effects, the best being the raising of O2 levels which make caring for tangs so much easier.. havemt lost one since i have started using h2o2 coincidense maybe, but the tanks have never been healthier..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use it in all my tanks as a regular dosing agent bc of the positive effects, the best being the raising of O2 levels which make caring for tangs so much easier.. havemt lost one since i have started using h2o2 coincidense maybe, but the tanks have never been healthier..
How long have you been using it? and when you say regular is that once a day once a week and at what dose?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: