Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I added some pics and info on a blog (My New Tank). Is there any way to speed up the cycling? I am using cyle and adding ammonia as I have some bacteria already and its working pretty well. Any other suggestions?

Welcome to MR...

Does that guy near Stillwell ave still setup that huge xmas light display?

Live rock and Live sand would speed up the process... 1.2 lbs per gallon of each is a good start and is a requirement for any type of coral...

Aguasalada

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he adds more stuff each year. It is beginning to look too cluttered though.

I have some live rock and live sand. About 1" of sand and 1" aragonite. I think I have about 15 lbs of live rock. Did you mean 1/2 lb or 1 to 2 lbs per gallon? Thanks for the suggestion rgun2515.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yes, he adds more stuff each year. It is beginning to look too cluttered though.

I have some live rock and live sand. About 1" of sand and 1" aragonite. I think I have about 15 lbs of live rock. Did you mean 1/2 lb or 1 to 2 lbs per gallon? Thanks for the suggestion rgun2515.

1.2 to 1.5 lbs per gallon. 66 to 82 lbs for you...

All the rock I bought was from MR members that were leaving the hobby. Check out the for sale forum.

Aguasalada

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. That's a lot of rock though. I guess it is all worth it. Now, I am starting simple with a fish only and then want to move on to reef. I don't think it will take long for the transition as I am just worried about chemicals and tests and everything that one needs to maintain a reef. So far I have maintained the salinity at 1.023, the PH at 8.3 and the ammonia at 1 (to feed the newly formed algie- I know it needs to be 0 when the fish come). Nitrite just started forming. I just feel that I have to do so much research to get to answers that I feel are very simple. Maybe its just me. What do u think?

Also, I am worried about lighting. I want to get something good. I originally thought of getting a 65w, but I see people discussing lights and I am like What? what do you recommend for a fish only tank that will probably be changed to a reef tank soon?

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Welcome to MR. You've got a great start, reading before stocking your tank. I applaud you.

We have a frag swap coming up on April 27th at Pratt Institute. You don't have to trade or buy, but it will give you an opportunity to talk 'shop' with 100's of local reefers. Information is always free ;) Besides, by then I'm sure you'll be ready to start adding some fish and if your lighting and skimming are adequate maybe some easy soft corals.

swimmer

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you are going to start with fish and move to corals then t5 lighting is probably your best option. Look for a 4 or 6 bulb set up. If you plan to add corals at some point go for more bulbs rather than less so you don't spend money twice. Just my opinion. Welcome to MR.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Cool. That's a lot of rock though. I guess it is all worth it. Now, I am starting simple with a fish only and then want to move on to reef. I don't think it will take long for the transition as I am just worried about chemicals and tests and everything that one needs to maintain a reef. So far I have maintained the salinity at 1.023, the PH at 8.3 and the ammonia at 1 (to feed the newly formed algie- I know it needs to be 0 when the fish come). Nitrite just started forming. I just feel that I have to do so much research to get to answers that I feel are very simple. Maybe its just me. What do u think?

Also, I am worried about lighting. I want to get something good. I originally thought of getting a 65w, but I see people discussing lights and I am like What? what do you recommend for a fish only tank that will probably be changed to a reef tank soon?

"Live rock" - is "IMO" the most important item in a tank. Fish only, or Reef.

"Simple Answers" - are not always the best. Part of this hobby is coming to your own conclusions after reading an doing research. You can always hire someone to setup and care for the tank, but what fun would that be... :)

"Lighting" - It's all about the money...
Buy the most powerful light you can afford if you are going to have coral in the near future. If you are going to stick to fish only, just about any light is fine.

I got mine here.
http://www.aquatraders.com/
It's OK... Not the greatest, But it was cheep... I would like to upgrade when I have a spare 1500.00... :Yikes:

Talk to Jim (House of Laughter) or Russ (masterswimmer). I am sure they can get you a good light for a good price. If not them, there are thousands of other online vendors, although, a light is something you may want to see in action before you buy...

You can also try the MR For Sale section.

Good luck. The members here are great, and are very willing to give you their opinion. But remember, it's up to you to decide what route you would like to take.

Aguasalada

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I will sign up for the Frag Swap as I will be ready for fish by then. In terms of the lighting, I will look more into it and will also see if my friends can build me a canopy w/lights. Next stop- LRs and lots of them.

Aguasalada

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: