Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hey MR,

For some reason I have a problem keeping acans and chalices.. Is there any specific way these should be kept? Hammers, forgspawns, zoas everything thrive and these two seem not too. No flow? Little flow? Light? Etc. I have a 57g and I am running two kessil a350s. Made me think about adding another kessil but I feel that would be to much. Have also kept favias fine... Can the water be to dirty? Or should they be kept at the bottom of the tank? Silly questions I know but I am tired of not having good results with these.
Thanks.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i have the same problem, although i bought an acan colony a month ago and its doing good but in the past i lost a few acans. and chalice still doesn't do good in my tank. i have a mixed reef and every thing else is doing good including sps.
i have talked with experienced people and they say theirs certain coral that doesn't do good in their tanks also.
so i came to accept it but it would be great if some one has an explanation.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Yeah it would be cool to get an explanation.. I just don't understand why. Zoas look good, everything looks good and acans and chalices just don't do well. Its weird to me. I have tried and tried but I am sick of losing money for no reason or apparent reason I should say. If I don't get an explanation I guess I will stop trying these.. Thanks for the response edd good to know I am not the only one.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
actually i gave up on the acans for about a year, so i gave it a try. i do have a challis receding now. i tried moving them all over, nothing helped.
give it a while and try again.

lrasser

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I just tried 2 Acans a few weeks ago. They don't seem to be dying but don't inflate like they did at the store. Following along since i can't seem to find much information on them. I have a 6ft mixed reef and everything else grows like weeds.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I would guess the answer is Allelopathy.
Corals fight each other chemically and there are winners and loosers. In small tanks it is probably best to stay within a family of corals. But we all want a mix and there is no way to filter out these chemicals so just accept the fact that over time certain ones will dominate.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I would guess the answer is Allelopathy.
Corals fight each other chemically and there are winners and loosers. In small tanks it is probably best to stay within a family of corals. But we all want a mix and there is no way to filter out these chemicals so just accept the fact that over time certain ones will dominate.

1-I thought running carbon helped that warfare because
2-I house many different families of coral and a few fish and they all thrive. I do however spot feed my acans mysis shrimp. too many heads to hit every one every day so I try to get a few from each colony each day. I also keep them on the sandbed. so I have an acan garden next to my zoa garden.

my 2 cents

Pimentinha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Acans and chalices don't require much light. Therefore a 3rd kessil wouldn't do you any good.
Allelopathy doesn't seem to be the case IMO but I could be wrong.
And yes, carbon does help with that.

Acans do phenomenally well on my system, and my guess would be because I spot feed them. A lot...
I'm used to feeding corals so I don't find it a burden, but some people do.

Give it a try, feed them 3 times a week or so and they should do fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: