AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hello. Wondering if anyone can answer this question:

I recently came across a brand new O2 Concentrator (the same ones used in hospitals for people who need extra O2). What are the ramifications of connecting the output to my skimmer? Its not Ozone but highly concentrated O2. Will this benefit my aquarium? In what ways? What are the risks if any?

Thanks!

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Aloa is a play on words kinda. It is a O2 Generator. It takes ambient room air and runs it through a series of Zeolites, aka, FW Ammonia Remover, Nitrate Sponge, Zeo-Rock, Zeovit. There are usually 3 stages for filtration and the unit operates on what is called Pressure swing adsorption (PSA)

http://www.ozmoticsinsider.com/pres...ypical-layout-of-the-psa-oxygen-concentrator/

I introduced then to the hobby many years ago but they never took off. Yes, it will add O2 to the tank but you need to monitor the O2 level so the O2 does not get to high. If you do not and the O2 gets to high you may kill ever thing.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ORP, you can not go by that, there are way to many variables involved. A drop in just the pH or rise in the pH changes the ORP allot. In todays tanks I just do not think it is needed to inject O2. You can always build a DIY O2 reactor and bump up the O2 about 0.5 ppm without and worries.

S

schriss

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Related to this might be a device called Oxydator. I use it in my tank after researching more about it of course. You can see that it is working if you have an ORP meter. My tank always suffered from low ORP (~260). With Oxydator working, my ORP averages between 300-350. I can see when it's depleted right away on my ORP meter which I have running 24h hanging on a wall behind the tank.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schriss

I mentioned these the other day on another thread on these issues and psoted the same link but it may not have been this forum. More than likely RC chem forum. They work fine and have been brought back into life for the 1990's when a similar was sold by Aquarium Products. These run off of H2O2 / hydrogen peroxide.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: