Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The last time I looked at carbon was a LONG time ago, back when Craig Bingman did an analysis of the main brands on the market. Well... There appear to be several different "types", what are the differences?

(I am looking at BulkReefSupply.com as a reference, comparing the different types)

The BRS branded stuff comes in:

Bituminous
Premium Rox
Large Particle Lignite
Small Particle Lignite

Bottom line, which is better at absorbing DOC's, heavy metals, etc.

Alfred

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
The last time I looked at carbon was a LONG time ago, back when Craig Bingman did an analysis of the main brands on the market. Well... There appear to be several different "types", what are the differences?

(I am looking at BulkReefSupply.com as a reference, comparing the different types)

The BRS branded stuff comes in:

Bituminous
Premium Rox
Large Particle Lignite
Small Particle Lignite

Bottom line, which is better at absorbing DOC's, heavy metals, etc.

Alfred

Premium Rox

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
How small are the granules of Premium Rox? Will it go through the holes of a media "mesh" bag? (I place one with carbon in my filter sock and change the carbon once or twice a month)

Thanks,

Alfred

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
How small are the granules of Premium Rox? Will it go through the holes of a media "mesh" bag? (I place one with carbon in my filter sock and change the carbon once or twice a month)

Thanks,

Alfred

A mesh/media bag is fine. I had it in a mesh bag and threw it into a filter sock and tied to the drain. Swapped out every few weeks. Rox 0.8 is high absorption, use a small amount when starting out. You're better off using much smaller amount but changed out frequently, than using a moderate amount and leaving it for a longer duration. I was using 1Tablespoon of Rox 0.8 for every 10g, never felt the need to increase it.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alfred

The 0.8 in ROX 0.8, stands for 0.8 mm in. diameter. And each grin is about 5mm long. Std dosage, is 1/2 cup / 50 net gals. Remove once / week and rinse well, tumbling the GAC in its mesh bag while rinsing , replace and change it out 1 / m.

Adsorption capacity, as a function of time, Fastest --- > ROX > Small Lignite > Large Lignite > Bitum.< --- Slowest.

Note: If you are NOT using ANY GAC, do not use that dosage above, start with 1/4 that for first two weeks, 2nd 2weeks increase to 1/2 std dosage, 3rd 2 weeks 3/4 dosage, and 4th 2 2 weeks full dosage.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I run GAC on all of my tanks. Right now I am using API GAC and use approx 1-2 cups per month. (I change it monthly) I am just about out and needed to buy more, so I figured I would look into carbon again. The reason why I went with this carbon to begin with is because there was a study done comparing the various brands (I think by Craig Bingman) and the PO4 levels in API's carbon were pretty low in comparison to other brands.

Boy do I miss Aquarium Frontiers magazine!

Alfred

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that was not Craig Bingman, I know Criag and is wife well. That study years ago was by Harker and another by Schiemer. Many things have changed since them in GAC. GAC is my pet subject in this hobby as most know. API also has changed GAC since that study. You can still find the those two studies on line.

RICHARD HARKER
http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwate.../reef-aquarium-granular-activated-carbon.aspx

In the Harker studies the winner was Two Little Fishes, SeaChem Matrix with API running 3rd.

GREGORY SCHIEMER
http://web.archive.org/web/20030804...k.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/jul/product/default.asp

In this study by Schiemer all GAC was 0.03 ppm or less PO4, par Votex PAC, which nobody uses.

Craig's study on GAC was this one

Bingman, C. A. 1995. Activated carbon and the transmission of visible and UV light through water. Aquarium Frontiers Summer(4):4,16-19.

The best GAC for us, all considered is in the following order.

1. ROX 0.8, which is the register trade mark of the GAC made by American Norit, not some name BRS made up. BRS got all ther info on the GAC they sell by reading my many posts on GAC on the RC Chem Forum.

Dr. Ken Feldman, a Organic Chemist from PSU, did a very comprehensive study on GAC for Advanced Aquarist on- line, our premier tech. magazine in this hobby.

Dr. KEN FELDMAN, PH.D
Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 1: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature1

There is no GAC in this hobby, period, better than ROX. I will add that BRS is almost giving it away at those prices. The std retail for ROX in other industries is ~ $45 / l. The bought lots of it long ago and you can not buy it now from Norit wholesale for that price.

2. BRS "small lignite or Two Little Fishes, both which are acid washed, like ROX. The only draw back here is Lignite is softer than the others in this list.

3. The Filter Guys GAC, acid washed, pH neutral, water rinsed Bitum GAC and fairly hard like ROX. This GAC is medical grade and is used in Dialysis treatment. It has Zero dust. My favorite next to ROX and zero PO4.

4. SeaChem Labs Matrix, a round ball Bitum GAC. The draw back is cost, in lbs or liters, is the most expensive by leaps and bounds and more than ROX, the next most expensive.

I will add there are other good GAC out there, Elos, Blue Life, ESV, etc.. It is rather easy to determine which GAC's are better just by looking at their data Sheet, if one knows how to read it.

I will add some may choose a GAC for some personnel reason, " I like Matrix, it has better fluid dynamics and the best in reactors", I like thefilterguys, it is 100 % dust free", I like ROX it is realllllllly fast at clearing the water", I will buy x, y or z and just use more as it is cheaper"

GAC to stay away from, BW, Kent, ROWA. These GAC are not LPC (Liquid Phase Carbon) but VPC (Vapor Phase Carbon). Do they work, sure but you will need lots more of them to get the same results.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So API changed, how bad is it? I was going to use what I had left, now I may just order the largest container of ROX from BRS.

Craig helped me set up my tank (well, he actually did most of it!) when he lived and worked in NYC. He is a great guy and did a lot for the hobby and our understanding of marine husbandry in general.

Thanks!

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They went from a a lignite GAC to a Bitum GAC. It is OK, but not as good as the old API which I also use to use. This change was made long ago, it is not some recent change. If your current API was bought in the last 5 years or so it is the new API, not the old API from that study.

I see and spend time with Craig and Ruth at every MACNA. We have him as a speaker at the 2013 MACNA. They have been to the last 4 MACNA. Him and I are very good friends with Tony Vargas. Craig is also really good friends with Randy Donowitz, from here MR.

http://www.macna2013.com/speakers/

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I am still "licking my wounds" from all of the spending I have done in the past two months. As soon as I can I will be ordering all of the supplies I need and will be sure to order as much ROX as I can so that I never run out!

Thanks,

Alfred

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: