Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
Pods? newbiw here...please explain.
I don't have a sump running on my Biocube. I did remove the bioballs and modded the tank with the InTank Baskets. Still haven't found a skimmer but I'm working on it.

Get the CPR SR3 for the biocube if it's the regular 29 version, that's what I've been using and it's amazing. I made first chamber a refugium with a strip LED light.

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Pods? newbiw here...please explain.
I don't have a sump running on my Biocube. I did remove the bioballs and modded the tank with the InTank Baskets. Still haven't found a skimmer but I'm working on it.

pods are little critters similar to larvas, many fish need these creatures for lunch, but I think he mean he added macro algae and the algae has some pods, because I don't think pods itself will lower nitrates :D

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I have my refugium set up in my 2nd chamber with a JBJ nano led light, gonna pick up some cheato from Dubbs in a few hours. I reached out to JC Lover who I believe has that skimmer for sale right now. Waiting on his response

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
also blow off your live rock when you do water changes you will be surprised how much crap is stuck in the holes of the rock then suck it out it also gives the skimmer a chance to skim up some of the nitrate

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
S/O to JC Lover,
I am now the proud owner of a CPR Skimmer.
Will hook it up tonight and do a 10g Water Change tomorrow. Hopefully that will bring my Nitrates down another 10-20 ppm

Update****

Skimmer works but is too big for my biocube. I have to hang it off the side, won't fit on the back. Anyone wanna trade for a smaller one? If not I'll keep it for my 75g coming

Last edited:

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Okay so following the advice you guys have given me.

Protein Skimmer, check.
Lower feeding to once a day, check.
Larger water changes, check. (Week one of my 2x a wk water changes)
And my nitrates have gone down a lot. I'm some where between 20-40ppm right now.
Skimmer has only been on since Tuesday so I'm sure it will do work once it breaks in more.
Im also down 1 fish in my tank. Had to take a Damsel out so that I'm sure is helping the load.
I have noticed my ammonia raising slightly though. Went from 0 to .25 ppm not sure if it was just a bad reading but that's something else I need to watch.
Another water change this Saturday to start of week 2. Bought some better salt as well in preparation for coral. Hoping to have these levels under control so I can buy my first coral next week some time.

Here's another question to you guys. When doing your water changes do you turn off the pumps and power heads or just let them run?

Also I can see some debris in the back chambers which I'm sure are adding to my nitrate level is some sort of way but should I stress trying to clean those out or is it pointless?

Sent from my HTCONE using Reefs

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Here's another question.
I have the Intank baskets in the back of chamber 2 , one side I'm using as a refugium with LED light and all but I was thinking of adding a 2nd refugium in a chamber of my Protein skimmer, pointless or good idea?

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Guys I need help...
not sure whats going on. keeping up with my 2x a wk water changes in order to lower my Nitrates but I tested my water today and I'm still not right.
Results:
SG - 1.026 (Dope)
ph - 8.3 (Perfect)
Ammonia- 0.25 (NO GOOD)
Nitrite - 0 ppm (NICE!!)
Nitrate - 20 maybe 40 ppm , hard to tell color was close (NO BUENO)

I cut my feeding to once a day. Gonna cut it to every other day now and see if it drops.
My skiimer is putting in work. I see it collecting, not as much as I would like but its working. I left it running while I did my water change and moved around the live sand and it almost filled the collection cup which lets me know my substrate is really dirty but I don't know what else to do besides what I'm doing.
Any other suggestions?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Stir up a small portion of the sand bed each water change and siphon as much as possible. Or remove sand a bit at a time altogether. Stay bb or replace with new sand.

Also turn off skimmer during wc. Poweheads and pumps depend on how much water your taking out. Keep up the routine. Also siphon out the detritus you saw in the back chamber. Clean any sponges/floss you have. Doing great.

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Stir up a small portion of the sand bed each water change and siphon as much as possible. Or remove sand a bit at a time altogether. Stay bb or replace with new sand.

Also turn off skimmer during wc. Poweheads and pumps depend on how much water your taking out. Keep up the routine. Also siphon out the detritus you saw in the back chamber. Clean any sponges/floss you have. Doing great.

Okay, so turn off skimmer, pump and power heads, check.
Not sure how I can siphon out the back chambers though. What I have been doing is using a turkey baster to blow the detritus up and into the 2nd chamber after passing through poly filter. Not sure what to do about chambers 2 and 3 though. Should I remove the media baskets in the 2nd chamber and clean those out every water change?

I just got some new live sand actually. How do I go about swapping it out? How much stress am I possibly going to but my tank through?

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm trying.

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Update.

Looking to take some fish out next week which I believe will lighten up the bio load hence dropping nitrate levels but here are the results of my weekly water change.
Only did 4.5 gallons is week

Results
SG - 1.025
High Range pH - 8.3 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Phosphate 0.25 ppm
Calcium 460

added some coral this week, (green impolsion, pink and gold paly, gsp and anthelia) all seem to be doing fine.

Using RO for water changes and top off, not sure what else to do to get phosphates to 0. (taking suggestions)
Everything else besides Nitrate which I'm working on seems okay but if you guys think over wise let me know.

thanks

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I agree. From 160 to 80, from 80 to 20 in a 2 .5 weeks or so isn't bad at all. I'm using API test kit.
I've shifted the sand bed a lot in the last 2 water changes and added a Diamond Back Goby to the tank who's been putting in work.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: