d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Wondering how many folks are dosing with the assistance of dosing pumps.

I have 4 dosing pumps still in the boxes because I can't decide what is good and what is easy and economical.

I am hoping for suggestions / ideas of supplements that work that are easy to mix or come already premixed and that are known not to clog dosing lines.

I dont want to be baking ash in my kitchen nor trying to make a years worth of supps for $10 while at the same time also not buying the most expensive brand.

I am ok with mixing powders to come up with a liquid form of calcium, mag, alk, there is just so many brands and I know that for the most part the main ingredients are generic.

I tried searching this forum but could not find anything conclusive.

What do you dose?
How do you dose it?

Last edited:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I use the pre portioned 2 part from BRS. Can't get simpler than that. Add water to jug, open bag, mix thoroughly, top off the water, good to go.

I dose it with two BRS 1.1ml dosing pumps that run once per hour.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I use esv two part. Probably the more expensive route. I get 2-1 gallon alk & cal set for about $30. I like that it has mag and trace elements in them already. I use a bubble magus doser and done.

I'm sure there are less expensive routes but its somewhat dummy proof and quick and that's what I needed.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
yea, I am hoping that folks actually post what they are using and how they use it.

I use Seachem Liquids but now that I pay attention to all parameters I am noticing that the tank is consuming Magnesium and Alk faster than before or maybe it has to do with me cutting vodka dose in half, either way, I need to bring the dosing pumps out.

I want to find something that I can easily mix if needed and set it and forget and that ppl have found reliable.

I found an article online where a person claims to have made a years worth of supps for $15 bucks but he had to turn his kitchen into a temporary laboratory.

Dimitrios91

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Currently I use BRS and dose manually. The main thing was getting all the levels up to where you needed them and test each night or day for a week to see how much is used per day on average, then you can dose manually or setup the dosers to do the same. I have yet to add my dosers though, eventually lol

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right now I'm using BRS soda ash and cal part. Thinking of buying baking soda and baking it in over to make soda ash. And the other part cal. Looking into which brand on salt to make calcium part. But will see if it is as good and if its cost effective. Like a place that sells pool supply or Home Depot type of store to get calcium supplement. Any input would be great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: