Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (9)
Send a Private Message
Bakers yeast for diatoms

I just watched a YouTube video and a guy with a 400 gallon tank put yeast in there and it cleaned his tank. I used the search feature and nothing came up on here...basically has anybody else tried it because I'll be setting up a new tank soon and wondering if there's benefits to this.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Bomb Technician (EOD)
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
This was brought to my attention just two days ago by a friend. This species of yeast is not know to survive in seawater. Matter of fact there is only one know species that can. The dose is ¹/⁴ tsp / 400 gal and I find it hard such a small amount could do that much. The other issue I have is he sure it is Diatoms and not again mis-ID cyano. Next, just what the hell is it doing. Like I told my friend try it the dose is so low it shouldn't affect anything. Pretend it is a 50 gal tank. That would be ¹/8 of ¹/⁴ or ¹/³² of 1 tsp. Lol that is like ¹/² of a aspirin tablet by volume. So, you are on your own.

1tsp is ~100 drops. So, ~25 drops by Vol for 400 gal. For a 50 gal that is like ~0.75 drops. Does that make sense in any way. And where the hell did he come up with that dosage. Maybe it is another Internet scam.

If You See Me Running You Better Catch-Up

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Want to Talk Chemistry ! The Reef Chemistry Forum

Last edited by Boomer; 06-15-2016 at 07:14 PM..
Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (9)
Send a Private Message
exactly,,the only thing I've ever heard yeast would eat is sugar! BUT the source is somewhat of a reliable source, they give plenty of advice and demo's via youtube and other sorts...although the fact they couldn't break down HOW that worked left me skeptical.
Thanks