• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

xKEIGOx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is normal or not but i have this 200gal reefs tank that have been set up like about 3-4 months ago and the magnesium level are now too low. I'm using a calcium reactor for that tank the calcium level are still droping no many how i adjust the reactor. and i have add calcium chloride but it wouldn't raise a bit and currently at 360ppm. I'm adding magnesium by 25ppm daily now.. today is the first day but it's rather expensive over here. what chemical could i use to add calcium?

xKEIGOx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 dKH.
this is not the first time that this tank have this problem. actually it's a new step up after it leak. Before it leak, the aquarium have the same problem. unable to raise CA. then after it leak about 5 months ago, I set up a new filter system, lightings but keeping the old life stock. after a few months the same problem appear again. unable to raise CA. the softy are dying and the xenia too. is it because of the low MA?

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is a good idea to assume the magnesium is any particular value, or even that it is low, without measuring it. There can be many reasons besides magnesium for difficulty maintaining calcium. I'd suggest getting a magnesium kit before adding any more magnesium to the water.

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find any magnesium testkit here in malaysia.

Why don't you mail order one from Singapore or Japan or the US?

Adding as much Mg as you are without knowing what you have to begin with is not the wisest course of action to follow and may explain why your Ca is low. I would also test your calcium test kit against a solution with a known Ca concentration.

Again .. what is your salinity? If you salinity is low, your Ca level, relatively speaking, may be fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: