tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
LOL, I got the Doc part right, just the wrong Doc.

The redfield ratio is the ratio of Carbon, Nitrogen and Phosphorus in all marine Organic Life including bacteria. I was referring to it more as a reference than as a direct correlation. The bacteria that grows on the Pellets are growing at a rate that is limited to the proper ratio of Carbon, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus available.

What are your PO4 readings? My theory would only be valid if your PO4 readings are at near 0 levels. That would explain why your nitrates cannot come down any further. Because you have readily available carbon, and abundance of Nitrates, but if your missing the Phosphates, the bacteria will no be able to consume any more of the carbon and nitrates than the currently level of consumption.

If your PO4 readings are also higher, then its a different issue.

last recording of phos was 0.00 on the hanna meter.

i'm not sure if i follow your hypothesis. i understand the redfield ratio. but ratio is a percentage or proportion expressed in different mathematical terms. it's in not an equation nor formula....i don't see how that would be applied to the rate nor selective chemicals that the bacteria actually consume.

thanks for your input....it is an intriguing theory.....biochemically beyond my knowledge/understanding.

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The way I see it, your bacteria growth has peaked because although you have available NO3 and available C from the pellets, you've got no PO4. All 3 is required to grow the bacteria. Your tank produces NO3 at a rate that is more than what your current bacteria colony can consume. Therefore, my theory is by raising the level of PO4 in your system, you will initiate further growth of the bacteria and then more NO3 will be consumed as a result. Now I'm guessing that once the "extra PO4" is consumed, your NO3 will slowly rise again because the ratio of N > P in accordance to what the bacteria need to maintain equilibrium.

Based on this, a constant flow of PO4 will keep the bacteria colony large enough to bring your excess NO3 down further.

Any comments from microbiologists?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
lol now were going to be dosing PO4, i like this theory tho, well thought out

i understand what you're saying....but not sure if i buy it.

i do see a new product "PHOS-ADD" sitting right next to the PhosBan in the near future.....along the with the phos-add reactor.....lol.

we reefers are sucker for the next new and improve fad/snake oil.........lol.

felix you better apply for an intellectual property patent on this theory......lol.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
390   0   0
lol, I know its crazy...

Maybe a controlled dosage into the reactor directly?

of we could get the since behind it all y not? taping a reactor should simple :P the issue would be is how to regulate, cause raising the P04s sounds like coral death if not measured appropriately, as well as slow enough that the bacteria can grow in response not get overwhelmed.

and tom i wouldnt call it snake oil just yet, cause its like cheeseburgers, if all u have are buns (pellets with bac on them) and cheese (NO3) how will u make cheeseburgers with out the burgers (PO4)?

BOMMER! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If there was a way of dosing measured PO4 by water volume in increments of .01ppm (doesn't sound that difficult), then it shouldn't cause any harm to corals. A slow dosage over a period of days-weeks to slowly increase Bio growth until NO3 is down to 0. Once that happens, you have your PO4 dosage requirement and it should stay relatively constant.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
and tom i wouldnt call it snake oil just yet, cause its like cheeseburgers, if all u have are buns (pellets with bac on them) and cheese (NO3) how will u make cheeseburgers with out the burgers (PO4)?

BOMMER! lol

i'm not saying this theory is snake oil......i'm saying we reefers are suckers for that magic bullet.....we would buy it if they slapped a new and improved sticker on the snake oil.....lol

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If there was a way of dosing measured PO4 by water volume in increments of .01ppm (doesn't sound that difficult), then it shouldn't cause any harm to corals. A slow dosage over a period of days-weeks to slowly increase Bio growth until NO3 is down to 0. Once that happens, you have your PO4 dosage requirement and it should stay relatively constant.

That defeats the whole concept of hands off and low maintaince! LOL I dont want to dose.......

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
well i am around a month in now with the pellets, i will check nitrates a little later, but will say this, i hardly ever have to clean glass, and my marco in my sump is starting to die off, my guess is nutrients starting to really drop

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
well i am around a month in now with the pellets, i will check nitrates a little later, but will say this, i hardly ever have to clean glass, and my marco in my sump is starting to die off, my guess is nutrients starting to really drop

With my ULNS (Ultra Low Nutrient System) I can't grow and macro Algae in my Refug, so I gave up and now its a small display tank. lol

CDANN76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ive had my eco bak pellets running for approx 3 months..my chaeto died off around the 1 month mark and the couple mangroves in there,are slowing in there grow..I did notice I have to clean the glass a lot less.my rocks look cleaner from some weird algae.and most of all around the 2 month mark the colors on some of the corals were coming back...(I dont really have numbers as the test kits always showed 0.but you could visibly see the algae.)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: