Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Reefer Ratings: (70 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Adding a clown

Figured this would be good spot:

I have one clown in current tank, 60 cube, and want to add another. Lfs told me its Ill advised and wouldn't sell me one. The fish were close in size, should I get a smaller one to add? Or just forget the idea
Old 08-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Reefer Ratings: (23 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
If you could possibly have a female now, I would definitely get one small enough that you know its a male. Even if the one you have now is still a male, that is fine. I don't see why it would be an issue if you added a male. It would certainly be a problem is it were two females.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Resident Jedi
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Friends: (9)
Send a Private Message
^^^ What Kworker said.

It's totally fine, I've done it before when I lost a clown after a move. Just add a smaller one, the younger the better, that way it's most likely a male. They will pair up and sort out who is the boss, ie who will be the female, if the existing one isn't already.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Send a Private Message
Sounds good, thanks guys
Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty6 View Post
Figured this would be good spot:

I have one clown in current tank, 60 cube, and want to add another. Lfs told me its Ill advised and wouldn't sell me one. The fish were close in size, should I get a smaller one to add? Or just forget the idea
What LFS is that? I dont ever want to go there because they obviously have no idea what they are doing.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Send a Private Message
Absolutely fish: was younger guy, I didn't start arguing with him and certainly didn't ask his opinion. I thought it would be fine if smaller. He went to bag it and asked what I had in tank. I listed some fish and when I said a clown he began questioning me and said he couldn't sell it to me ( I guess I was a disappointment to the reef gods) as he didn't feel my tank was suited for another clown. I was also getting a small yellow coris and decided to leave with nothing instead
It's close to my house and they have a huge selection but staff is hit/miss imo
Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (69 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Yeah... thats 2 strikes against them now... probably the same guy. I went there to buy a cleaner wrasse and got scolded by some young kid.

First he wanted to know every little detail about my tank to be sure my tank was suitable for a cleaner wrasse... then he told me the cleaner wrasse wasnt going to help with the issue. (I had a fish trap in the mail and was getting ready to QT all my fish... but i didnt tell him this).

Then he tried to tell me I needed to medicate the fish, at which I said they are all in a reef so I would need to figure out a way to get the fish out of the tank first. He said it wasnt a big deal that there were "a lot of reef safe medications". He took me over to the a shelf, pointed at kick ick... (I laughed inside) told him I had used it before and it did nothing to which he said "no this is good stuff we use it here all the time, you must have used it wrong"... ok what ever. Then he pointed at some other bottle on the shelf which I forget the name of. He said thats another thing they use all the time and that it too was reef safe. He then said he also has a medicated food i can use and he said he would get it for me so I could look at it. As he left, I looked at this other bottle of medication he suggested. I look at the back of the bottle and some bold words point out... it says Not safe for use with inverts or corals, use only in QT tank. So when he came back I told him forget it and that I would do some research and figure out what to do. He gave me the nastiest of looks and then checked me out saying that he really wasnt happy selling me the fish because I wasnt doing things correctly.

And thats the last time I go to that store... this happened about a month ago. Now hearing someone from there is saying its ill advised to add a clown fish when you already have one in the tank, idk who these people are they hire.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
i have added a same size clown fish with one already in the tank in my 155 but i also had more than one anemone so the clowns didn't really bother each other, in fact they both started hosting the same anemone, i guess its a hit or miss with them if they get along or not, by the way absolute is having a sale this weekend so its better if you go then, do you have any anemone in the tank?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Send a Private Message
nah. No nems, I have never tried one
The two were hosting a good sized frogspawn for awhile. Took forever but they finally gave it a shot I swapped tanks recently and will look to add some stuff soon
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 PM
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I had 6 in my 220 never an issue
4 in my 93 I had several Bta and it was always fine
But to be safe like everyone else said go smaller