Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lou Elkus, from Tropic Marin and a huge supporter of the school's project, and I had been talking about the range of the crowd at the FFM- from legendary reefer to complete newbie. Lou mentioned that he gives a number of talks about reef chemistry. Having talked to Lou a number of times about various aspects of my own reefs, I thought it would be a great idea to include one of Lou's talks at the FFM to get some of the newer people up to speed on their own tanks. Here is the official announcement for Lou's talk:

At 1pm in the lecture hall of the school (just around the corner from all the corals!) Lou will be giving a talk titled "Basic Reef Chemistry." The talk will be focused on teaching the newer reefer the basics of reef chemistry including calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and more. I have heard Lou speak a number of times and he really has a gift for breaking down the complex ideas of reef chemistry into an easily understandable package. I highly recommend it. Oh, and by the way, the talk is FREE and anyone who attends the talk will be in the running for a $25 FFM Gift Certificate to be pulled at the end of the talk.
Thanks and see you all in a few weeks!
Jon

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is the updated list as of this morning, with a few cancellations and a few additions. My apologies to any of the "vendors" whose home locations I mixed up...
AC Corals (CT)
Alex's Advanced Aquatics (CT)
ARKSC (CT)
Aquadreams (MA)
AZNnutty's Saltwater Connections (OH)
BareBottom Corals (NY)
Blastomaster (CT)
CTARS (CT)
Coralium (CT)
Dan Rigle (PA)
dizzzy1209 (NJ)
Elmafioso52988 (NY)
E.O. Smith Coral Project (CT)
Exotic Fish and Corals (CT)
Exotic Reef Creations (NY)
Fins Aquarium (NJ)
Fish Frenzy (MA)
Frag Freaks (MA)
Fraggin Waggon (SC)
Frank180Reef (MA)
Gotham Aquatics (NY)
Greg Hiller (MA)
Hammer (NH)
Ijamcorals (MD)
Jason Foxx (MD)
Kwong1998 (NY)
Marine Reef Habitat (MA)
Matt Spaulding (VT)
MetroKat's Sassy Frags (NY)
Micheal Reeve (CT)
Neublian (CT)
New York Coral Farmer (NY)
New York Reef Club (NY)
Pablo (NY)
Pacific East Aquaculture (MD)
Pieces of the Ocean (NY)
Pimentinha (NY)
Polywise (NJ)
Popcorals (NJ)
R+R Aquatics (NJ)
Reef Creations (NY)
Sassawrasse (CT)
Shayna 123 (CT)
Shawn B (CT)
Shector (CT)
Long Island Sound School (CT)
SteelerMike (CT)
sydaze4 (CT)
Suicideissleep (CT)
The Coral Reef (CT)
Triggreef (CT)
Ultimate Corals (NJ)
Upstate Corals (NY)
Wet Pets (CT)
xclusive corals (NY)
zooanthids.com (OH)

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Time to start talking raffle and giveaways....
I just sat down and tallied up all the FFM gift certificates for this year and I am throwing in over $700 in Frag Farmers Market gift certificates this year. They will be given away and raffled through out the day and can be used at ANY of the vendors during the day.
That does not include the 1000's of dollars in other gift certificates, merchandise and livestock in the raffle. More info to come...

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Super exited for this swap!!

lets have some request's post it here and I am sure all the vendors will try to bring whatever it is you guys want!

I will be hoping for a piece of CC angels and demons Millie.

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got a note that Logan from Reefbreeders will be offering a few specials for the FFM this year.

First, he is throwing a Superlux LED fixture into the raffle, to go with the dosing pump he was already putting in. He is also offering:
$20 off all Jaebo pumps, at the FFM only. He NEVER discounts them.
$40 off all Photon Units, again only at the FFM.

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All of them will be sold the day of. There will be a table and a few people walking around. All of the raffle items will be in my classroom 107 with cups for your tickets. For most of the items, you don't have to be present to win. I'll ship them off to you after the FFM.

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got back from the school (okay, I might have slept for a few hours...) and about 1/2 the people came to set-up last night. I have to say that the stuff people brought this year, compared to previous years, is amazing. Just walking around, I saw quite a few things that I had never seen before. The only problem that I had was that I was too busy to cherry pick anything before the FFM got going! Seriously, I am positive that this will be the biggest and best FFM yet, with more set-ups, and just about all of the local clubs there to promote their events and club. Do me one last favor and tell someone about the event this morning, or just stop by their house and grab them on your way out. When you are at the FFM today, stop by and introduce yourself. I love to meet all the people that are just as crazy as I am!
-Jon

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't keep a running list as people won but do have a number of people to contact. I will start contacting people Monday and get all the items shipped out this week.

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now that the dust has settled, for the most part, I wanted to extend a thank you to all of the vendors and attendees. The vendors this year brought the sweetest stuff I have ever seen at an FFM. They truly brought their A game and I was just sorry that I didn't get to stop and see half of them during the day. The attendees drive in from all over the Northeast, including a ton from the city and surrounding areas. I appreciate you making the ride out and hope that your ride was worth it.
On a less positive note, one of my students had a clam that he had bought taken from the greenhouse at the end the FFM. He spent all of the money that he had on this clam and someone walked off with it. I am hoping it was an accident but if anyone knows anything about the missing clam, please let me know. I don't want to see the poor kid have to save up for another few months to replace it...

Thanks again to everyone who came/helped/shopped.
-Jon

P.S.
The 2016 FFM will be on March 5th 2016!

Fitch4

Teacher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just wanted to let people know that this whole thing is going to have a happy ending.
Both The Coral Reef and Aquadreams have offered to give Ethan a replacement clam to make him whole again. He just needs to decide which shop he will take up on the offer. I showed him the threads today and he was flattered by all of the generosity from this, and many other groups. I started this thread just to see if someone had picked it up on accident and discovered that the reefing community in the area is full of just plain great people. I thank you, and Ethan thanks you as well for all of the very generous offers everyone has made. Thanks to everyone for showing him, and reminding me, of great a group the reefkeepers in this area are. I am glad to have him to leave the experience with that rather than the negative of losing the clam. Thanks again!
Jon

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: