Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yes.The eggs can travel in on any coral or rock. I have seen nudi's on acros also. QT anything that you get before placing in your tank.

I love reef dip from Seachem for that it works on 90% of pests. People are reporting Acro eating flatworms coming in on wild bali corals as well as sundial snails on zoos from Bali. Also the wild caught Montis from there and vuanatu are coming in with the nudis. So frags from the whole region are suspect in my book.

[ April 20, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Pseudo Boy ]

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
oh, that not good.. They should have make sure not to bring any pest into the market.. Now all these nudi are spreading... The thing with a QT coral tank is that it take alot more work.. You need a good light, and airflow, and nice size.

I guess the best way to get coral now is to get it from local trusted's reefer..

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
10 gallon QT with a Magnum 250 hang-on is good enough. Maybe a 802 powerhead. But my favorite is a 18 gallon rubbermaid with a 1" bulkhead powered by a Quiet one 3000 and a PM Hot 1 skimmer. It's quiet and cheap and efficient. Low Cost outlay and hardly any electric bill from it.

If you want lighting go with the 150w Coralife mini pendant. Also cheap and efficient.

[ April 20, 2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Pseudo Boy ]

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
But with the rubbermaid you won't be able to see threw like an normal tank. You won't be able to examine the coral and fish in the rubbermaid.

So what you have for your Quantine tank?

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
If you go to lowes you can get the clear rubberbaid 18 gallon bins for $9.89. I have both the 10 gallon tank and the rubbermaid bin. I made a rubbermaid bin (blue) for Jackson (Rich) to cure his rock and it worked perfectly.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
maybe you should set up a small QT tank for the monti's.

let the nudi's die in the main tank and take care of the rest in the QT. it sounds like you have a nightmare on your hands.
at least the coral is easy to catch ;)
I would do this Tom, you can pick up a 20 gallon cheap.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I am receiving conflicting info, some sites say they go for all montiporas, some say they go for plating monties only. Anyone with any info if you could please post it would be greatly appreciated. Still waiting for anyones exp with natural predators. Right now it looks like Supergirl and superman monties are goners. Ther rainbow monti and the purple rim cap is going to go soon :( I fragged and lugols dipped them and brushed the frags down with a tooth brush but it doesn't look good :sad2:

Rick I got your message while I was on my way to work around 10 sorry I didn't call but it was after 8. I'll be up until 1 pm today and I'll probably wake up around 9 pm (hopefully).

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Damn chief. Those bugs are a pain in the arse to battle. I would get home take out all my montis, inspect them and then dip, knock the stunned adults off with a brush and krazy glue the egg sacks. I repeated these steps every other day for about 6 months. If I was unlucky enough that I had to go thru that again I would just dump all my montis.

Good luck man.

Edit in my experiance they go for all montis, caps, encrusting, digis..

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Bought a Yellow wrasse Halichoeres chrysus from HOF on sat and yesterday I watched it pick 2 of these buggers off the rock and eat them. Like many have said that these natural predators are a good control mechanism but it is unknown if they are a cure. Anything is a plus for me. Lost too many frags as it is I think that was due to stress from the lugols dips I did.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: