thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
My Xenia is kinda growing lil too big for my tank right now and I want to thin it out. When people are trading or selling, are the pieces normally mounted or just a piece cut off?? I have found that xenia sticks like friggin crazy glue for the most part?

Thanks!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Most people prefer it mounted on something, xenia shrivels and slimes up when you cut it, and it'll likely fly all over the place otherwise, likely into a powerhead or into a corner with no light and die.
Simply place some rubble next to the xenia and it'll attach to it in a few days or so, then you can snip off the branch and it'll be mounted to a rubble :)

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
take a tooth pick and use it to pry up the corner of the xenia stalk from the rock. once u can get a finger on the bottom of the base you can grip it and pull it off.

But before your do.

Take the same tooth pick and pierce it through the trunk of the xenia.

now continue to tear pry the base off the rock. once the xenia is free.

you can use a rubber band around a piece of rubble hooked onto either end of the toothpick to mount it to the rock. and keep it in place and not blowing around

in a few days the stalk will have attached to rock and you can remove the toothpick.

or...

you can just jam the toothpick through and snip with a scissor and mount, but it will grow back so if you are trying to remove it, its best to pull it off cleanly.

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
Most people prefer it mounted on something, xenia shrivels and slimes up when you cut it, and it'll likely fly all over the place otherwise, likely into a powerhead or into a corner with no light and die.
Simply place some rubble next to the xenia and it'll attach to it in a few days or so, then you can snip off the branch and it'll be mounted to a rubble :)

+1 works all the time :)

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
take a tooth pick and use it to pry up the corner of the xenia stalk from the rock. once u can get a finger on the bottom of the base you can grip it and pull it off.

But before your do.

Take the same tooth pick and pierce it through the trunk of the xenia.

now continue to tear pry the base off the rock. once the xenia is free.

you can use a rubber band around a piece of rubble hooked onto either end of the toothpick to mount it to the rock. and keep it in place and not blowing around

in a few days the stalk will have attached to rock and you can remove the toothpick.

or...

you can just jam the toothpick through and snip with a scissor and mount, but it will grow back so if you are trying to remove it, its best to pull it off cleanly.

Very good advice! Thank you. I would rather "remove" some rather than actually just fragging to try to trade or sell. I will give it a shot! Thanks!

I think I am gonna go and get some plastic toothpicks, I read and article about using toothpicks and the article stated that since they are not supersmooth they may harm the coral. I know xenia is like a mac truck for the most part, but dont want to hurt it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: