Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi guys, Advice needed please, what should I do with this Yellow Plate. I dipped it last week in Seachem's "Reef Dip - Coral Disinfectant" for 10 min.. After that it appeared to want to open. I am pretty sure that it needs more light that I cannot provide. [For those that did not read the previous thread in the FS/FT forum, yes I did my research before purchasing it. Everything I read, and was told was that it would be ok in my tank if placed high up. Which is where it is, any higher and it will be out of the tank.]
What I want to know from those that know more is, it has been about a week since it was dipped. And from my view it appears to have improved, the back side of it anyways. It still has not opened up, but I still think that it is do to the insuficient lighting. There is another reefer who is interested in the yellow plate, but I do not want to sell or trade if it is sick. But yet if it doesn't get the light that it needs will it ever recover fully, or will it die. Or is it dieing anyway. The front of the yp has not changed at all except for the few polyps that have try to open. Please let me know what you guys think. No I don't know anyone with MH lights, other you guys here. I tried to take some pics of it. What you see on the back is the spots that I dipped it for. They are not mushy or anything, and they have not gotten any worse from when I first saw them. If anything they seem to have lighten up.

Attachments

• Deceas on Yellow Plate 002.jpg
    Deceas on Yellow Plate 002.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Deceas on Yellow Plate 003.jpg
    Deceas on Yellow Plate 003.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Deceas on Yellow Plate 006.jpg
    Deceas on Yellow Plate 006.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 174
  • Deceas on Yellow Plate 007.jpg
    Deceas on Yellow Plate 007.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 172

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Looks pretty normal to me for the underside of a Turbinaria. I'm not sure what you are dipping for, I see no pests. Good flow and adequate light and it should be fine. They are very hardy corals. Randy

Thank you Randy, this is what I have been thinking all along, but I don't know much about the sps family.

Lighting is not always the reason for coral health & healing.
You should check your water parameters & post them up.

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate .5
ph 84
salinity 1.025
temp 79
phosphate 1
calcium 560
free iron 0
chelated iron 0

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
sometimes its hard to work out why a coral is unhappy, I have two tanks with identical parameters yet in one my moti cap is bright green with great - almost freakish - polyp extension and in the other the colour just fades to a dull green. Both have the same lighting flow etc.
same with zoos sometimes they will die off in one tank and come back if i put them in the other tank - and its not always the same tank. Things that look like they are ready to choke in my upstairs tank come good when i move them to the basement while the reverse is also the case for others.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
sometimes its hard to work out why a coral is unhappy, I have two tanks with identical parameters yet in one my moti cap is bright green with great - almost freakish - polyp extension and in the other the colour just fades to a dull green. Both have the same lighting flow etc.
same with zoos sometimes they will die off in one tank and come back if i put them in the other tank - and its not always the same tank. Things that look like they are ready to choke in my upstairs tank come good when i move them to the basement while the reverse is also the case for others.

Thank you for your response Aaron.

Now I'm really baffled, so this hobby of ours has a mind of its own? It is all just a luck of the draw? The strong will survive, and the weak will succumb, is this correct?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: