LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am a reef loser. My photosynthetic gorgonians were getting a little algae on them which will keep them from photosynthesizing (sp?). The were in the highest flow area and the purple one who had the most flow was losing a tiny bit of flesh on two tips so I was worried about giving them more flow.

I found a site that recommended a brief fresh water dip.

I did it.

They are all dying. The flesh is blowing right off them.

I SUCK! I didn't check multiple sources and killed the best things in my tank. They are not that hard to take care of, and I still managed to kill them. I think I should stick to mushrooms from here on out.

A picture would make you too sad, so I will spare you.

I am only telling you of my shame so that someone else will not do the same thing.

I already know I am a loser and have learned from my mistake so don't be mean.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Leslie... you're not a loser. It happens.

Why didn't you ask member s on the board? Ahem, there are some of us who've had success with them.
For the future references, I've found the algae comes off pretty easily. Just take a wet paper towel and wipe it off gently.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've found the algae comes off pretty easily. Just take a wet paper towel and wipe it off gently.

I tried rubbing it off, but no go.

Why didn't you ask member s on the board? Ahem, there are some of us who've had success with them.

I was getting ready to do water change and I was like..hmm..that makes sense. I'll do that while I am working on the tank.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Leslie don't stress it. i know it's hard but you did what you thought was right. and i just happens they got worse.. I'll be picking up some stuff this Monday and if i see any of them, i'll get you one on me :biggrin:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
leslie dont be upset come on .hey just think of it like this now you can get even more coral at the frag swap.alright listen all the threads i have read even the senior members have hefty problems.look at the beginner thread and go to last page some of the reefers that we get our advise from had the same type of troubles that some of us are going through right now. just trying to help,put a smile on your face and remember you learned from your mistakes and when someone has the same type of trouble you can give them advise,and at least you can feel good helping someone else out.keep us posted

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hm, I kind of want to see a pic.
Wonder what kind of algae we're talking about here.
Gorgonia's usually have a case of slime or cyano, which is easily removable.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
algea will grow on them from time to time. thats when they go dorm n sheads outer skin off in a few days. dont be sad. it happens. i killed 1 of my clams this week too. i'm in the same boat. just learn not to do it again.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'll be picking up some stuff this Monday and if i see any of them, i'll get you one on me :biggrin:

My hero :kiss:

they might grow back, in a few years

:headache:

just trying to help,put a smile on your face

:hug:

Here are the pics. The yellow one still has algae on him. The purple one has reddish bones but the algae is all gone.

Attachments

• yellow gorg with algae.jpg
    yellow gorg with algae.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 281
  • purple gorg.jpg
    purple gorg.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 287

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks Guys.

This was not a drunken hangover :smile:. In fact, I was congratulating myself on finally getting the whole water change operation more organized. Doh!

Skumonkey - that looks like a great company. I like what they are doing. I ordered the ones I just killed from Sealife Florida. They don't raise everything in tanks, but they do aquaculture everything in leased ocean fields. I hope Ken the owner doesn't ban me from ordering anything else!

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
In the past i just cutoff the dead areas, cleaned it up, and re-glued it. Those orange ones should not be in too much light, but great flow. Were you feeding it anything?

Keep your head up, we all have killed things in tha past, and we all feel bad about it. We just learn from our mistakes and improve.

Good luck with the next one!

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Leslie, gorgonia go through monthly shedding so don't get too alarmed next time you see a lil' loose skin. However, your pics show obvious tissue damage. I've never seen that type of algae on my gorgonias. Sorry if I can't offer any help there.
You should do as Pedro suggests to salvage what's left. You're probably aware of this, but just to throw it out there: Gorgonia's are closer to SPS then LPS, so calcium levels are especially important to growth and survival.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: