jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
pf2.JPG

I thought I'd start a thread to document using Phyto Feast.
A few weeks ago I picked up a new clam from clamsdirect.com
It had been shipped to clamcrazy (a member on this board) and he recommended feeding phyto for a few weeks to help ease the new clams acclimation period, so I picked up some phyto feast.

I had dosed some homegrown phyto once before, but it did not last long.
While dosing I have to say I never saw a difference in the tank, but that was a while ago so the comparison may not be fair.
I can say that after using the phyto feast the clams in my tank look much fuller. It might be my imagination but the mantles look like they are extending much further soon after I feed the tank. Not only the clams but all the soft corals and LPS corals looked better to me. I did not take any pics, and I think the differences are pretty subtle so the changes may not show up in the pics. everything just looked like it was extending a bit more and was a bit more full all around. I'm going to continue using the product and will try out their Roti-Feast for the SPS in the tank.

Last edited:

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I too used this product Jhale and it showed my corals and fish loved it....it also helps with your pod production....i've been using cyclopleese thinking it was the same thing.....ima go back to using that as well....and it lasts a long time....i noticed though if you use to much it clouds the tank green and algae grows so overusage is not recommended... ohh one more thing your skimmer will suck all of this out your tank so u might want to turn it off while you dose....
:fish:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Sometimes we see what we want to see :bigeyes:

You SPS guys always crack me up with, "things look better/more colorful/brighter, but pictures won't show it" :lol2:

The last time you were dosing phyto, how were your nitrate levels compared to now?

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I use the Roti feast....and YOU CAN SEE that polyps open fuller after feeding with the product (at least in my tank),enough that a camera could measure!
Anyone with good camera and skills is more than welcome to take shots
This is not necessarily a good thing as it's not cheap.
I gave it a shot thinking "oh what the hell"... but good results make me go out and keep paying for it. I also think it's one of the foods I feed that help me keep my Feather star alive?! I also have not noticed an excess nutrient problem- I test EVERYDAY.
I have to say however, I feed no where near the recommended level- a little squirt is more than plenty!!

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
You lps guys can't leave us sps guys alone, if it's not this is that. if it's not you went barabottom it's oh now their putting sand back in. Yall crack me up
LOL

You SPS guys always crack me up with, "things look better/more colorful/brighter, but pictures won't show it" :lol2:

The last time you were dosing phyto, how were your nitrate levels compared to now?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

funny I never see "SPS" guys hating on non SPS people here :scratchch

The difference I saw was only in the soft corals and lps, it did nothing for the sps. I'm going to get the rotifers for the sps, then I'll post the sps looks so much better but you can't see it in photos :lol2:

when I dosed the first phyto the nitrates must have been higher than my current tank. I had more fish then and a smaller skimmer. I also had way more PO4 in the tank due to some 7 year old rock.

JHOV, my skimmer won't suck out all the phyto that fast, I'd rather have it removed from the tank than deal with the algae bloom you spoke of. I can always dose and buy more phyto feast :pimp:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
when I dosed the first phyto the nitrates must have been higher than my current tank. I had more fish then and a smaller skimmer. I also had way more PO4 in the tank due to some 7 year old rock.

My point exactly! Your tank is much healthier now than ever. Clams and corals of all types should respond positively to the addition of fresh food. I was merely hinting that the addition of ANY food could bring about the response you documented.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
phyto feast rocks. Noticed a difference in my LPS when using it back in my old tank. Want to get more but i picked it up in FT a while ago and not going back there ever and don't know anyone else thta sells. Using DT's premium phyto but it doesn't have the same effects. And yes, i agree with Dean, any addition of more food for coral and your going to see a change in their appearance. I target feed alot of my LPS and there is a huge difference in their reaction time, their overall color/appearance and sadly their waste :fishhit:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
before using it I had a reading of .03 after using I got a reading once of .08, not sure if that was accurate though. after a week of rowaphos in a tlf reactor I just got a reading of .04.

If you don't mind, would you repeat the test. Measure phosphate right before you feed, and then about hour or so after you feed. Since I got my hanna meter i have been on a phosphate hunt, trying my best to eliminate it introduction into my system as much as possible.

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any changes that you saw to LPS corals were likely just a feeding response to something in the water as LPS corals don't actively feed on phytoplankton. It is theorized that some soft corals feed on phyto but even that remains unconclusive for the most part. As for fish loving phytoplankton? Nahh.

I love Reef Nutrition products and use phyto-feast, roti-feast, arcti-pods(your fish WILL go grazy for these..I guarantee that much) but with the exception of your clam and possibly some softies I don't think that what you are seeing is a direct result of adding phyto-feast, although if you've been adding it for awhile you could very likely see LPS and other non-phyto feeders benefiting indirectly by feeding the bottom of your tank's food chain.

For anyone who hasn't used Reef Nutrition products I highly recommend them.

Last edited:

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
SOUNDS GREAT J!!! I'd like to try some...

Can we have a GB of some of reef nutritions products for the comming fragswap?/?????????

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I tried DT as well....i think the phyto is much smaller and spreads more giving the coral a chance eat...the fish and inverts eat up all the DT from what i saw...so i dont think the coral get a chance at a good meal from it...

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried DT as well....i think the phyto is much smaller and spreads more giving the coral a chance eat...the fish and inverts eat up all the DT from what i saw...so i dont think the coral get a chance at a good meal from it...

Fish don't eat phytoplankton, although they may ingest it when inhaling. I think I saw that happen to Plankton on a Spongebob episode. =)
Also, to reiterate, very few corals actually feed on phytoplankton and I doubt that any of them get a "good meal" from it. :eat:

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I meant with the clams. Can anyone vouch or compare phyto feast to DTs. I don't dose DTs I simply remove my clam and feed it. That's why I asked. Also sorry to derail but from what I understand older clams can get their nutrition from just photosynthesis alone but can feedings of phyto be beneficial as well?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I saw Calfo speak once and he said phyto has little benefit to most tanks. Coral simply don't eat it (hard and soft) and things that do (featherdusters, gorgonians, carnations and flame scallops) need such a high concentration in the water to sustain them, you would be pouring a bottle a day in a 55. Either way, most goes uneaten and only fouls the water.
Roti-feast is too big for SPS to eat. Your fish will like it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: