House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
J, another problem with the frag plugs and egg crate is that they tend to topple over when there is too much flow and also tend to rattle in the eggcrate. This disturbs the growth of the corals (un-empirical observation) and I don't want that - the plugs we posted here slide on snug enough to get them off without struggling, but not enough to allow "rattling"

House

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
neat idea, looking fwd to seeing it in action

but boring the plugs out by hand? that's insane! :eek:

BAF plugs at volume discont over 100 plugs per bag and multiple bags - .23 cents per plug - PVC rods .09 cents per plug - times that over hundreds and hundreds of plugs and it adds up -

Agreed, lame to do it, but the savings is there (but not my sanity).

House

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
definately an option - that and a joiner :)

House

a cheap drill press costs 180 at the HD, make 1,300 plugs and you will have saved enough to buy one :) or fathers day is coming up :scratchch

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You guys ever work with the "coral cradles"? http://www.coralcradle.com/cradles.htm

I don't know if they are cost-effective for the volume you do, but they are super easy to use. i like them for softies because they have holes in the perimeter you can use--you spear the coral on a toothpick and jab it into the hole, and the coral attaches.

Also, what about using the old floral "picks"? They're only about 5 cents or less per, and no work :)

Liz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
:idea: HOF YOU GUYS ARE ...

workin it eh?

Attachments

• hamster.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 347
  • litebrite.bmp
    240.2 KB · Views: 355

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Step 2

Here is the final product in it's final dry form - I didn't want detrius to settle inside the PVC tubing (you'd be surprised how much does) so I dremeled out the notches to allow for flow.

. . . . . and after I cleaned up the trough to begin the first cylcle of harvest - The glueing will commence another day - you can see a hardy amount of corals on there already.

Lastly, good ol' faithful - my purple rim. Thanks for coming back to me.

Enjoy Step 2

House

Attachments

• RackComplete_1.jpg
    RackComplete_1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 305
  • RackComplete_2.jpg
    RackComplete_2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Rack_Right_1.jpg
    Rack_Right_1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 305
  • PurpleRim.jpg
    PurpleRim.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 307

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Trips - and I am waiting for .. . well, you already know that one!

All, here is the first cycle of harvest which will include supergirl monti, superman monti, pokerman monti, Kedds nana, assorted ORA frags, some milli's, few zoos including a lavenderblue set, atlantis triple reds and likely some orange bam bams as well.

Just a pic or two to start the question/discussion if anyone's interested to.

House

Frags.jpg

RackFull.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: