• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

figgy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Could someone please help me choose a good dipping solution for new fish and corals. I've been lucky so far not using any but my tank is doing real well and I don't want to chance it any more.

thanks

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You Quarantine the new fish for a few weeks in a Quarantine tank to make sure it doesn't develop any illnesses. You make sure the QT and the Main tank have similar if not the same water parameters and after 3-4 weeks you acclimate the new fish out of the QT and put it into the display tank. If your new fish develops an illness you treat the illness and then you QT the fish for a few more weeks after the disease is completely gone then you add to your tank.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
With fish you shouldn't treat them with anything unless you know something is wrong with them. You shouldn't place any fish directly into you main tank without quarantine them for 2 - 4 weeks first. By putting them directly into your tank you're taking a chance of bring something into your tank and killing your fish. Do a search on the board about quarantine fish, look under QT and you'll find a lot of posts.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
figgy - tropic marin pro cure for corals, thats it. And for fish (I know Marrone disagrees with this) I copper them right away or get it from a place that has copper running in their systems. Actually, some wholesalers have copper running in their systems anyway.

lazibonez - Any ich treatment you do would kill corals. Your probably not going to get ich from corals anyway.

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
kimoyo,

That actually made alot of sense. Now putting in corals in my display after just dipping and without quarentine is still risky. Seemed there's so many ways to introduce ich to the display, not just from fish. Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: