rebar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a beautiful rock w/ zoos that were open when i purchased them but now only half are open. I check for nitrates, phosphates, and Ph, which are 10 - 15, 0, and 8.2 respectively. I have only softies and zoos in my tank. should i be checking for other things as well. could alkilinity or calcium be the source of this problem and should i generally be checking for them in my tank?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You should post your water parameters.

Are your phosphates really 15? I see a problem with that. Nitrates 10, not too good.

Calcium, alk, mag, iodine levels are important. SG is a factor too. What is your temp specifically? Good tells us nothing. Any white specs on them? Any new additions? When were these added? Were they acclimated properly? What was the lighting they came from? What type of lighting do you have. Please fill us in.

rebar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
no, phospate 0 and nitrates about 10. this sounds dumb, but that salinity is right in the middle of the correct range on my hydrometer. i forget the exact number water is about 1.025 or so and water is about 80 - 82.

In terms of the nitrates, my refugium is new and just added for calerpa. also, i'm not going for a hard coral tank b/c i want to keep a good amount of fish so i know it will be hard to keep nitrates at 0. mine hoover around 10 and i've heard from a few people that that's ok for my tank. I realize people differ on this.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

Are your phosphates really 15? I see a problem with that. Nitrates 10, not too good.

Calcium, alk, mag, iodine levels are important. SG is a factor too. What is your temp specifically? Good tells us nothing. Any white specs on them? Any new additions? When were these added? Were they acclimated properly? What was the lighting they came from? What type of lighting do you have. Please fill us in.

In addition to this are you skimming? What type of skimmer do you have?

pnoyreefer

Pek-P3K LicK3I2
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
If you just got them maye stress?.. I have had heat problems with my frag tank this week and my temp was 84.5 and some zoas melt.. This is just me and not talking for everyone else. Whenver I have zoas that are close I put them on a high flow and dose MG.Works for me on some but not all of them as I have some that melt away with no reason.. goodluck

rebar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a Euroreef 100 skimmer i bought from someone in MR. worked really well in the beginning but now does not appear to give me a good skimate. not sure why, but that's a another issue. I guess what i would benefit greately from is to have some more epxerienced folks come and look at my set up. I can offer beer and food, but that's another posting.

rebar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

no new additions. lighting is 4 65 wt PC, 2 10,000k and 2 actinic. i don't know what lighting they came from but they've been good for about 3 months since i first got them. did i leave something out?

rebar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think i have enought info to check some things out. I first need to buy and Alk and CA test kit and see what they say. Next, i'll try moving them we're there's a bit more flow. Does seem like a good first step? Thanks everyone?

Anyone leave near Pratt in Brooklyn and wants to check out my set up and give me some advicse. Beer and food will be provided.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
sometimes they just melt. I have a colony that is dying now. It's been growing well for a year, now they are withering away. to make it stranger it's not just on the rock, it's all the same zoa's in two separate areas. they are next to other zoa colonies that are healthy. I have no idea what's causing it, the other zoa's are fine and I can find nothing on the zoa's that are dying. my phosphates are not 0, they are .02 btw ;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I second those that stated "heat" as the source. Some of my zoas are not opening, and I suspect the heat.
You said the tank is in the basement. That says nothing as far as the temp. in the tank it self. My basement is furiously hot. Another mr member has to cool their tank as well, and it is in the basement.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Loosing Zoas for no reason is a part of this hobby...

If your parameters are in check (when you test) & your water temp is not excessive, don't bust your head trying to figure it out.

Some are hardy, some melt away.

If you see visible signs of a fungus or a Zoa pest, then you can take the proper actions to correct the problem.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
sometimes they just melt. I have a colony that is dying now. It's been growing well for a year, now they are withering away. to make it stranger it's not just on the rock, it's all the same zoa's in two separate areas. they are next to other zoa colonies that are healthy. I have no idea what's causing it, the other zoa's are fine and I can find nothing on the zoa's that are dying. my phosphates are not 0, they are .02 btw ;)
I have had mushrooms do that as well. All mushrooms are ok and just one group melts. My guess is there is chemical warfare (that we can not test for) going on and it affects some corals more than others. Of course the coral releasing it has no problem at all. Maybe activated carbon would help clean it up and if you already use it maybe you need to replace it.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
zoa's

i just went through it with a colony i had from the start, all my pink's started melting. 6 diff morph's and none of my other's seemed to have anything wrong

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: