Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Last year a man died due to contact with the toxin in NYC. That was because the hospital had no idea as to what they were dealing with. Make sure you know what you have in your tank. Palytoxins can be fatal. Spelling is the key. Iyou tell them you got stung by a zoothid they may not have anything on file. Tell them you got stung by a Zoanthid and DING they got the info. Poison control has information on the toxin as well. All in all if you have an incident you should get to a hospital right away!

EXPEDITION

ACRONUT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive been stung by my zooanthids,& the only effect it has had on me is that i get the taste of metal in my mouth.This was through direct contact.Just touch.

As for long term effects,just have to wait and see.

pnoyreefer

Pek-P3K LicK3I2
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Yes they are toxic and can cause some seriouly effect.As many know I like to frag zoas :lol2: and which at times I am not using gloves or a protective sunglass. One time It squirted on my eyes and my eyes turns red and itchy. The painfull part that is that your eyes will be red for more than a week :mad:...I came in once to work and all my co workers thinks I was stoned... Be careful !... Now I use a protective sunglass but still use my hands but the difference is after I frag some zoa , I wash my hand quickly and so far I never had the red eyes again :)

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

I had a serious poisoning by a fragspawn coral... It wasnt pretty. The doc couldnt help me specifacaly..So I had to gulp down serious meds to prevent further comlications. Still alive, but wouldnt want it to happen again.

Safty is first. :knockedou

Tito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the info! I have children and they are worth much more than corals. I think I will keep my FOWLR coral-less. I've got Green Star Polyps and I wonder if they are harmless. When you have toddlers - you just can't tell what they can get into!

From Wikipedia "
Typical symptoms of palytoxin poisoning are angina-like chest pains, asthma-like breathing difficulties, tachycardia, unstable blood pressure, hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells), and an electrocardiogram showing an exaggerated T wave. The onset of symptoms is rapid, and death usually follows just minutes after."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin

Some of you folks who have experienced symptoms probably just got a minute amount of palytoxin not strong enough to kill but enough to say better watch it next time.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the toxic in zoa's are one of the most dangerous there is, cause cause death, i will see if i can find the article on it, if they are in the tank you have nothing to worry about unless your kid drinks the tank water or gets into the tank takes it out and eat's it

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'd like to know how that man died in NYC. I mean, did he do something stupid like try to eat the corals?
i believe it squirted in his eye. someone should find the article. hmmm, not sure if you would die if you ate them though:knockedou

Last edited:

sapseven

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
honestly i've done alot of reading ..and it seems like there isn't too many REALLY TOXIC zoo's in the hobby .. there are some thow .. can't specify that. i've touched some zoo's with nothing .. and i touched some zoo's that made my arm go numbb to my shoulder .. it depends really .. i wouldn't advise touching them ... but if you do .. put a little white vinegar on where you toched em ..
and then wash em off with soap. i never had a serious problem with that method .. but a more effective method is just to add gloves ... DERRRRRRFFF :D

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yeah i wouldnt give up corals because of the poison because this danger is easily prevented with safety goggles and gloves.

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I remember brushing a rock with some zoas on it and I fell really sick with like a respiratory infection that lasted a few days and I atribute it to the inhaling of the air as I brushed the rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: