Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0

approved_black.GIF

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
awibrandy....I think you missed my point...B/C corals have no brain, they dont realize they are just surviving....
Your comparison to a bum is unfair...b/c we as ppl realize if we are barely surviving...corals dont...it is cruel to us...to corals its just life, not a gd life or bad life...just life

Am I making my point clear? It is difficult to explain what Im trying to say via text..

OH..I used to use a liter bottle over the sun polyps and then shoot mysis in through a hole in the top. That is a pain,now, since I feed my tank atleast 4 times a week, all my corals grab food when I feed, all LPS all Zoas, etc...

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Deanos...did you read my thread...I dont think what you said is fair....I was not advocating mirstreatment to corals/fish....I was mearly suggesting that you do not need a colony to thrive inorder to survive....and that allowing a colony to just survive is in no way cruel or mean.....that is all

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
awibrandy....I think you missed my point...B/C corals have no brain, they dont realize they are just surviving....
Your comparison to a bum is unfair...b/c we as ppl realize if we are barely surviving...corals dont...it is cruel to us...to corals its just life, not a gd life or bad life...just life

Am I making my point clear? It is difficult to explain what Im trying to say via text..
OH..I used to use a liter bottle over the sun polyps and then shoot mysis in through a hole in the top. That is a pain,now, since I feed my tank atleast 4 times a week, all my corals grab food when I feed, all LPS all Zoas, etc...
rookie07, I understand what you are saying!! Deanos last post says it ALL!
Totally of subject, but why would you call a homeless person a "bum"? That is "cruel, and unfair". Many of the homeless have come to be in their situations for reasons out of their control. Thank God that you, I, and the rest of our brothers & sisters here do have roofs over our heads. If you are intending to respond to this, PLEASE do so through a PM.

Back to subject please..:hug:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Deanos...did you read my thread...I dont think what you said is fair....I was not advocating mirstreatment to corals/fish....I was mearly suggesting that you do not need a colony to thrive inorder to survive....and that allowing a colony to just survive is in no way cruel or mean.....that is all

What I got from your post was, if a living creature doesn't have "self-awareness", it doesn't need to thrive under our care; just providing it enough nutrition to keep it alive for our enjoyment should suffice.

I feel that's wrong. The same way people aren't proud to walk a malnutritioned dog down Madison Avenue, a reefer shouldn't be proud to own ornamental marine life that's "surviving".

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
NP rookie07, I understand!;):hug:

Dean, I know what you mean.lol I had a dobie mixed with whippet once, and I hated walking her!LOL One day a lady tried to give my husband a dollar so he could feed her.ROFL

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

I agee with what kathy said, except.
IM AM A ROOKIE-THESE THOUGHTS ARE JUST MY DEDUCTIVE REASONING AND LOGICAL THINKING-TELL ME IF IM WRONG!!!!

You're wrong.

Granted that the original poster asked if each head needed to be fed in order for the coral to 'survive', but I would doubt that Jadakiss meant that in the literal sense that you are advocating.
Considering that the vast majority of reefers here would prefer for their corals and fish to thrive, that is where I will direct this response.

No corals don't have brains, yet they are animals. I find it almost more amazing that a creature with no brain instinctually knows that it needs to be in an environment that will allow it to feed and reproduce.

IMO the fact that you have this coral in your tank, thereby having full control over when/when it is allowed to eat and you make a decision not to feed it as it requires (please read the link that was supplied that looks to be the most DEFINITIVE information I have seen published on this corals NEEDS) does demonstrate that there is a problem with your deductive reasoning and logic.

If you don't care for the analogy regarding the bum..try this one...if you had a dog and you fed it just enough food to keep it alive and it was alive enough to stand but it's ribs were sticking through and it was clearly in distress...would that be ok?
What difference does it make if it has a brain or not, it still knows that it is hungry and needs to eat to survive? The dog is in your house, in your care and cannot whip out a can opener to get more food.

People get arrested for treating animals that way.
Corals are animals.

Jada, yes your sun coral wants each of it's heads fed each day to the best of your ability. As stated by others, if pollution of your tank is a concern, you will need to ramp up your water changes. If you don't have the time to care for the coral ( can happen..) you might want to consider placing it on the for sale forum.
Best of luck with it!

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have already said I was wrong...with that said.
When I used the term "survive" I meant...properly nurished, but not over fed. THIS seems to be the issue, my misuse of words.-This was my mistake, I used the wrong word to express my opinion.

I over feed corals to promote growth, but when growth is not desired, sufficient feeding(or as I termed it, survival) is enough (I wrote 1 feeding per head per week was sufficient, or enough to survive-poor choice of words, I should have said it was enough to keep the coral properly nurished).
I was not advocating underfeeding, or starving livestock(or in other words abuse).
I hope what i have written is sufficient...
and im sure it is not intended, but I feel like I am being attacked.
I understand that we(and I mean all of us, myself included) often come off as mad or angry b/c we only have text. The voice, or inflection(I cant spell this word) of the writer is often lost in online forums.
Hope I didnt upset anyone with this last message(although I cant imagine I did). Anyone who has dealt with me or seen my tank knows I take gd care of my tank, and that im a nice person only looking to help.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
dame i was away for 1 day to c what every one post and every one went crazy on rookie:Blurp::party::tongue1::party::yo::sgrin::D:lol_large:spin:...lol....lol nah but all jokes aside i want to thank everyone for there advice, rookie dont worry about ur advice speak ur mind. thats what i love about this site every one can speak there mind with out offending anyone.1 love every one

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
OHHHHH......How do these type of corlas feed in the wild??? Do they catch very small fish/inverts, do they eat solely from the water coloum? Do they eat left over bits from other animals feeding that float in the water?
I dont really get it.--Please no jokes about what I just wrote.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
thats something i was thinking too. like inthe ocean what ever pass by there tentacles they eat its not like us were feeding them direct . so thats another ? how do they survive when there not being directly feed and the ocean is always moving in a way that food is not actual put inthere mouth. so what im saying is feed ur tank and what ever food hit ur corals they eat if not they not goin to die cuz the ocean is the same way i guess???....????

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You guys are absolutely correct when you say no one is in the Ocean spot feeding these animals, and they have get their food by reaching out and grabbing what they can.

Let's see here! I'll try to keep my spiritual beliefs out of this, so that I don't upset anyone.
In the wild food is available 24/7 as is water changes.;) In our closed little systems it is not available unless we make it available. And since we don't want to pollute our little glass cages, we spot feed those animals that cannot compete with the fish, and inverts for the food. I'm I making any sense here?

rookie07, I did get upset when you referred to homeless people as bums. I spoke on it, you appologized, explained the poor choice of words. I am no longer upset behind it. It is over. Sorry but I love people regardless of their station in life.;) Thats all, no harm done. My husband use to get upset with me for saying hello to everyone including the "bums" in the street. That is just who I am, no less, no better then the next person. I bow to no one, nor do I look down my nose at anyone! People are people some more fortunate then others thats all.:grouphug:

jadakiss, do you understand on how, and why we spot feed now?:)
By the way, I did the same mistakes when I first started out. I thought these animals would just eat the left overs, but unfortunately there usually isn't enough left overs plus we don't have the correct currents to carry food to all the different little nooks & crannies we create in our systems.;)
Hope this helps..

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
OHHHHH......How do these type of corlas feed in the wild??? Do they catch very small fish/inverts, do they eat solely from the water coloum? Do they eat left over bits from other animals feeding that float in the water?

thats something i was thinking too. like inthe ocean what ever pass by there tentacles they eat its not like us were feeding them direct . so thats another ? how do they survive when there not being directly feed and the ocean is always moving in a way that food is not actual put inthere mouth. so what im saying is feed ur tank and what ever food hit ur corals they eat if not they not goin to die cuz the ocean is the same way i guess???....????

:letitallo Talk about being spot/spoon fed...the answer to these questions have already been given in a great link by qwkwzrd. KathyC mentioned in this thread that that link may be the most definitive information she has seen published on care requirements of sun corals. I would have guessed that those interested in feeding sun corals would have read it.

Excerpt: The prevalent “myths” which state that Tubastraea sp. are found in caves and overhangs, because their in-tolerant to light, is a complete fabrication. The reason these corals are found in such areas is because of nutrient levels. Caves and overhangs etc are naturally rich gathering areas for zooplankton and other small food sources, and is possibly the sole reason for the presence of Tubastraea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: