da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My sps are dying off. I have one Red monti that is showing some white spot the size of an eraser on it. Then i have one branch sps that first started losing polyps on its sides and now is working its way up some of the tips. Where it is dying or has died off there is a brownish slim forming and it really doesnt come off with a baster. I also have a small frag (sorry don't know the names) it has bushy polyps and they are thinning out.

PH 8.2, Alk 8.9, cacium 420, no ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. The phosphate are low. salt 1.024, temp 80, 240 watts of Actinic on are on for 12 hrs and x2 250 MH are on for 6 hours. 15% water change every 2 weeks. I have not introduced anything new in the tank for over a month.

Attachments

• DSCN0547.jpg
    DSCN0547.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,234
  • DSCN0546.jpg
    DSCN0546.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,248
  • DSCN0549.jpg
    DSCN0549.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,164
Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sounds like it might be a pest, how slow is "slowly"

Pictures may be helpful.

What size tank is it?
Have you had any swings in paramaters,?
what are you dosing and how do you dose it?

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
ph was a little high but has come down on its own over the last month, It a 105 gallon tank. And i would say i started noticing the die off 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have a mag 1200 and 2 K3 power heads.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
it's probably the hydrometer thats off, Did you calibrate your refractometer to distilled water? it should show 0.000 with distilled. and make sure the lens and such are clean.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Give us a full tank shot, so that we can see what is going on.

Please post all of your most recent test results. Don't tell us something is "ok" or "in range", we need numbers.

What are you dosing and how are you dosing it?

Do you run carbon, phosban (GFO)?

What type of lights do you have? What is your lighting schedule?

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
In the first pic there's a tree coral right next to the SPS - that may be part of the problem. Do you have any sarcophytons in the tank? They are extremely noxious and can "chemical warfare" SPS to death.

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I list my most recent levels in the first post along with the light schedule. They are from Friday

PH 8.2, Alk 8.9, cacium 420, no ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. The phosphate are low. salt 1.024, temp 80, 240 watts of Actinic on are on for 12 hrs and x2 250 MH are on for 6 hours. 15% water change every 2 weeks. I have not introduced anything new in the tank for over a month.

My lights dont go on till 12pm end end the cycle at 12am. My blinds are always closed in the room but it still gets some light in the room in the morning. But not direct light

Yes i do run a phosphate reactor and i just changed the media last week.
No dont run carbon.

Yes i did calibrate my refractometer with distilled water. I didn't notice it was off till i brought my water to be re tested by my local guy and thats when we found the salinity levels were off(1.021) I have been raising them since yesturday and have gotton them up to 1.023.

No sarcophytons just that one tree and that piece came from another MR memeber that was breaking down his take over a month ago and they did fine together on the same rock in his tank.

I do also add b-ionic alk and calcium addive ever morning at 8am

Attachments

• DSCN0558.jpg
    DSCN0558.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 545

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The digi looks alot like its beeing eaten by nudi's. Check for little white furry things on it with a Flashlight, might have to take it out to check.

The pocillipora looks like its been bleached, lower the light. it looks like its too high although it should be fine up that high. See how it reacts. Some pocillipora colors don't take high light that well or maybe its catching a UV spot where the glass might not be positioned right.

As for the monti cap i have no idea. Could be stress from parameters or something else.

Start running carbon. its good for your water. =0)

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I was look at the monti cap this morning while the lights were still off and there is new bleaching spot the old ones have recovered but i saw tiny little while critters jumping around. They were not walking on the coral but jumping around like a fly would do if it was eating a crumb. What are they and how do i get ride of them?? Iodine dips?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I was look at the monti cap this morning while the lights were still off and there is new bleaching spot the old ones have recovered but i saw tiny little while critters jumping around. They were not walking on the coral but jumping around like a fly would do if it was eating a crumb. What are they and how do i get ride of them?? Iodine dips?

thats your problem monti eating nudis

Attachments

• DSC02770.jpg
    DSC02770.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: