MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ive finally dedicated myself to feeding my acans and duncans after never feeding them for 6 months. I have a few questions:

1) Do you feed every night?
2) How much do you feed?

Ive been just giving each head one mysis shrimp a night using tweezers. Is that enough for max growth?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I usually just let my duncans eat what falls on them when I feed my tank ( I feed every other night on average but heavily ). When I spot feed my sun corals, then I'll spot feed the duncans. Thats about 3 times a week. They both seem to be doing well - plenty of baby polyps.

brianx45

Diamonds of the Reef
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Does anyone ever have a problem with the fish trying to eat the food off the coral? My fish think I'm feeding them when I put food in the tank with tweezers. They eat the food before I can even get to the corals mouth.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thats the most annoying part of feeding any LPS - same for my sun corals. What many people do is cut the top off of a soda or juice bottle, invert it over the coral and feed through the whole with a pipette/turkey baster. Just dont squeeze the bulb of the baster too hard or the food will just squirt back out of the opening of the top.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
feeding

that happens all the time especially if you have a cleaner shrimp. what i do is feed the fish and shrimp first. wait a while to they eat then begin coral spot feeding. they still may pick at the food but not as much when they are full. oh and my system can handle the food i got a crazy big skimmer and run phosban reactor
Does anyone ever have a problem with the fish trying to eat the food off the coral? My fish think I'm feeding them when I put food in the tank with tweezers. They eat the food before I can even get to the corals mouth.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Feeding Duncans is not necessary, but does benefit.
I feed whenever I feel like with no schedule & in almost 2 years it went from 2 heads to 50+.
I'm sure with weekly feeding it would have been more.

BTW: they can handle way more than 1 mysis shrimp.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I normally throw some interference when feed my corals. AKA dump some mysis on the opposide side of the tank so the shrimp dont bother the corals. Or ill put some Cyclopeze in the water to keep them busy.

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I feed mine mysis and the occasional phyto...The acans seem to go berzerk when i squirt the phyto with a turkey baster....the duncan is pretty good at grabbing mysis on its own whereas the acan you really have to have the baster close...and then a cleaner shrimp will come and jack it lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: