Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
my christmas blasto wellsi colony been good until the last week. Ive noticed the polyps been growing bigger and bigger and been covering up the smaller polyps. One small polyp has totally receeded and now I see the skeleton. Another 2"+ polyp is now slowly receeding, there is a hole where I see the skeleton but around it the flesh is still visible. I started with 16 polyps, now only 15 polyps left. How do I stop it from spreading ? I hope its not dying. No variables has change in my tank, everyhting else doing well. The only thing that has changed has been, I've switched mysis shrimp to brine shrimp the last 3 weeks since I ran out.

My corals and fish still eat this, so didnt think its a problem.

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had similar experiences with blastos, where suddenly, after having done very well for some time, something changes and a head or two or even more just die. I'm not certain why it happens. I think that increasing the flow has been beneficial, and I am also more careful about alkalinity levels. I'm not certain, but I believe that this too is something that helps or even prevents the problem from continuing. It's hard to say why this happens because it has, in my case, happened to a blasto colony when one very near it suffers no problem. In any event, try looking at your water chemistry. I wouldn't count on feedings of brine shrimp as being any help. Try to get back to the mysis or even chop up some shrimp that's available at the grocery or supermarket and giving it to the blastos.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: