siond

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a candy cane in one of my tanks that has been in there for about a week and half. Ive been looking at it at nights to see when its tentacles open so i can try to feed it some mysis shrimp or somthin. But no matter what time i look i never see them. If the moon lights are on or off...nothing.Their very closed shut at nights..is that normal...almost like their being touched. They look healthy during the day, all poofy and thick, but i never see them try to feed. Any suggestions??? TIA

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Wait till an hour or so after the lights go out. You can also try feeding a bit of food (with the lights out,) and waiting for the feeding response.

They'll look like this when they're ready to feed!

caluastrea.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hey Sean ...first question has to be what are your water parameters?
Second q is where are they placed in the tank in relation to flow and light..a pic would be helpful as well.

They may still be just getting comfy in your tank and can still be eating smaller particals from the water column also..when you aren't looking ;)

siond

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till an hour or so after the lights go out. You can also try feeding a bit of food (with the lights out,) and waiting for the feeding response.

They'll look like this when they're ready to feed!
First of all....HOT PIC and thanks for the quick response. Should i drip som mysis onto it, is that safe? and when one opens do the rest usually follow? Im new sry and i really wanna learn everythin i can.

siond

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sean ...first question has to be what are your water parameters?
Second q is where are they placed in the tank in relation to flow and light..a pic would be helpful as well.

They may still be just getting comfy in your tank and can still be eating smaller particals from the water column also..when you aren't looking ;)
IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg
Salinity is @ round 1.024-.025
Calcium 480
Amm, nitri, nitra=0
79 F
30 gal
Any other info lemmie know, im new so im not sure exactly what ull need, plz b patient wit me lol

knockout

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
One of my favorite corals, I keep about 6 diff varieties and never feed them, imo unnecessary BUT like the others said, selcom will make any coral want to eat, waiting for an hour after the lights go out, look at the coral in the morning it should have some tentacles out (one of mine never used to have its tentacles out), its only been a week since you got the coral it may need more time to acclimate itself to the conditions of your tank, just be patient, it is the most important thing in this hobbie.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a candy cane in one of my tanks that has been in there for about a week and half. Ive been looking at it at nights to see when its tentacles open so i can try to feed it some mysis shrimp or somthin. But no matter what time i look i never see them. If the moon lights are on or off...nothing.Their very closed shut at nights..is that normal...almost like their being touched. They look healthy during the day, all poofy and thick, but i never see them try to feed. Any suggestions??? TIA

What you can do is suck up some of the water from defrosting the mysis or whatever, and use a baster to push that over them for a bit. Wait half an hour and you'll probably see tentacles out in a feeding response.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: