crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My first question is how hard is a bubble tip to keep? Do they need to have anything special added to the tank? I dont drip anything into my tank currently, and use reef crystals salt at the moment. Will there be enough cal and nutrients for a buble tip?

Second question does anyone have a frag of a bubble tip I can buy at a resonable price, I would like it for my clown....

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I dont have one, but i have looked into them. Let people know ho wbig your tank is and what lighing you have.

They require some supplimental feeding and strong lighting. I am pretty sure they dont require any water additives, although i would make sure your parameters are in check.

Also make sure you have some sort of cover over your power heads.

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have a 50 gallon tank, with a 4 t-5 light setup. Two white, and two blue lights, i think they are 158 watts total. I have a Hang On filter, a Hang On protein skimmer and a korilla 4 circulation powerhead all providing flow. I just recently purchased a clown fish and I am looking into getting a bubble tip for him to host in. I dont need it right away, but am looking for the near future.

I have a dragon goby, and a purple pseudochromis, and I am a little worried about them getting stung by the bubble tip.....

I have also read that if they are not doing well they will realse toxins, and can kill the tank....makes me a little nervous...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16770

Last edited:

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemones are not something i would suggest for a new tank. how deep is your tank top to bottom, and what fixture do you have exactly? does it have individual reflectors? what bulbs are in the fixture? are they the stock bulbs or did you upgrade them?
anemones require strong lighting and supplemental feedings. they eat meaty foods, so you can simply go to the supermarket and purchase some raw ocean fish/shrimp and feed it bits of that.
they aren't something that can be "fragged" but they do reproduce by splitting.

they also have been known to move around if they are not happy where you place them, and can sting your corals while doing so.
also, there is no guarantee that your clownfish will go to the anemone and utilize it.

the dragon goby and pseudo will be fine with it.

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes my lights have individual reflectors, they are the stock 10,000k and 460nm lights that came with it, the link in my last post are the lights. They are 156 or 158 watts only. My tank is something like 24 inch high. My tank is fairly new, has only been up for about 5 months or so.....maybe a little less....

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
The light fixture in the link you posted will not support anemonies. They are high light animals, and that fixture is a HO. HO=high output
For anemonies you really need VHO=very high output at the very least. Even better would be MH which bring their own problems, like higher electric bill, and the heating factor.;)
Also let your tank run a little longer.;)

N

nycoralguy

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Bubbletips are easy to take care of, the blue ones are more difficult just keep them away from other corals, they sting

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have a 100g tank with a 40g sump for about 6 months and I have a GBTA of about 8 inches when extended. My water parameters are fine except phosphates but working on it. No visible signs of algea. And the anemone seems to be doing great. I have 3 pair of HO-T5s with individual reflectors. My ocellaris fish went on it the same day I put it in. So far no problems. I have not fed the anemone yet in two months but look very nice. I will feed it but not often.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: