32Bit_Fish

I have a big red mushroom and it had detached from the rock a few days ago. Now it floats with the water current and sometime it gets stuck in the filter intake.

What should I do about it?

Thanks

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Poke some holes in a container and line the bottom with rock rubble or crushed coral, then put the mushroom in (don't put the cover on the container though!) Within a few days it should attach itself. If the shroom floats out try putting the container in a part of the tank that has less flow, or cover the container with mesh. Hope that helps :)

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
or plastic wrap and a rubberband ..just put a piece of rock in it will be fine I have mushrooms floating around all the time. They grow like weeds come off move around and attach. I started with 2 rocks FULL of mushrooms now they are on most of my rocks.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Poke some holes in a container and line the bottom with rock rubble or crushed coral, then put the mushroom in (don't put the cover on the container though!) Within a few days it should attach itself. If the shroom floats out try putting the container in a part of the tank that has less flow, or cover the container with mesh. Hope that helps :)

One of the shallow green mesh baskets you get strawberries in works well for this.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Thanks for all the inputs. I normally don't test the water because I do 25% w/c weekly. However, I feel the water temp has been fluctuating for the past few month (when the summer started), I have been having water temp swing from 80-85 on a daily basis.

Also, I started one mushroom and it started spreading. Now there are 3-4 small ones on that same rock that the big one detached itself from. I guess over crowding could be the reason why the big mushroom detached.

I guess I would rubberband the mushroom with a small piece of rock. Hopefully it will attached to it.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
...mushrooms really shouldn't be unattaching from rocks unless there is something making them unhappy...

Kathy,

Are you sure about that. I thought that when one detaches, that this is normal. Meaning, I have a rock that had one mushroom and then, had babies and every once in a while, a mushroom detaches on it's own. Now, maybe, water parms can be improved in some cases, but I think it is normal for even in a healthy tank. I thought that is part of it's nature to reproduce, to sometimes detach and go to another part of the tank.

Now, that is not the same thing, when trying to frag a mushroom on a rock, and it does not take....

Thank you,

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Guys,

I couldn't find my mushroom. I think I lost it to the torch coral. Do you think the torch coral would eat mushroom if it comes in contact?

I noticed the torch have gotten bigger and bright color yesterday when I get home and I couldn't find the mushroom anywhere.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Guys,

I couldn't find my mushroom. I think I lost it to the torch coral. Do you think the torch coral would eat mushroom if it comes in contact?

I don't think so.

Probably, just got lost in the current. That is common, until they attach somewhere. When I had lost one in the past, sometimes days later, it re-appears somewhere else in tank.

PS. Mushrooms are a very hard coral and usually hold their own against most corals.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
mine move because it gets crowded there is shrooms and zoos mixed on the rocks..Do you have alot of stuff in the same spot?

Seems like I have this situation as well. My mushrooms are growing like weeds, detaching and finding new homes all over my tank. I counted over 30 on a 3"x3" rock. A big one dislodged only once. You can see it in the back corner. I ended up tossing it out. I have some little ones stuck to rock rubble as well that I'll give away. PM me if interested.

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 243

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
pweissma,

That's why I don't necessarily think detaching mushrooms mean tank conditions are bad. I think this is normal, and helps the mushrooms grow other places.

I kind of think, that after they move, if there is enough light and not too much current they will settle down. It's when the current is very strong, they continue to move.

Since I like to frag corals, I do like to wait a bit, before taking the mushroom to frag, because if it can attach to the sand, it's then easy to frag the sand to a plug.

...Poke some holes in a container and line the bottom with rock rubble or crushed coral...

tentacles,

I copied a fellow reefer and do this by placing softies into a small PVC pipe of about 1-2 inches. This blocks some of the current and let's light in from the top. Same as what your doing.

One thing, I think is kind of cool, is placing mushrooms of different colors fragged next to each other.... Looks pretty.

I have seen a friend also do this with Monti Cap. Not sure I like it. I have to wait till his grows in...

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: