vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Reef Interests reccomends soaking All-In-One Biopellets for a period of 24 hours in marine aquarium water before use in your aquarium reactor."

need soaking , for sure.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 233

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i got some PM, about this reactor, first Thank You for the nice words, then i will try to give some tips.

Re: Bio pellet reactor
Preerecord
Well I think I know where to get the acrylic cylinder from. But I would like the steps to build and the ingredients or parts. And where to purchase parts and help with how to put it together. I saw ur tumble action. That's insane.

Bio pellet reactor
Preerecord
Hey Vio. Ur the best! Can you help me with a build so I can cover a 220g tank with decent amount if fish?
09-01-2014 04:04 PM

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
To connect the 1/2 PVC (input , output) i use saw hole (i will post the size, is at work) NEVER use regular (large) drill , even if is 1/4 thick, huge chance to crack, broke the Acrylic Tube (reactor) regular drill will cut w/only two points (flute) then very hard to hold the reactor or drill gun to avoid vibration . Saw hole use 30-40 teethes in same time , a way less aggressive than dill.
To seal the hole , i fond this (see the pics) in Home Depot , electrical dept. , very important to use some kind of lube, to avoid shoveling, shave the rubber when you install or connect the pipe , i use honey, same when service my Protein Skimmer, ATB have a trike "O" ring, if force , big chance to pinch the rubber.After install the rubber seal into reactor i suggest to lock (glue around by using ice-gel ) you will shave the seal , around rough hole from saw hole. In my case i use 4.750 inch (4 3/4) food bowl from Crate & Barrel $ 3.40 is made from nice "porcelain" material , i have to shave just 1/16 of the inch (0.62) so like 1/32 per radius , that was the most difficult to make, that material is very hard, i screw one by the time i find the right operation (i use tile diamond cutting machine, i keep rotate the bowl against side of the Diamond disc, until i got my sweet size, i would NOT suggest this, huge chance to cut your fingers , so try to find a Tube ,Reactor that have 4 3/4 ID , or try to visit Crate & Barrel for dif. size , they have. The main key is to use this bowl to help to move Bio-Pellets by using less energy (power of Gal/H pump) concave shape of the bowl help to move UP and Down very easy, surface of the bowl is so smooth work just like ramp, imagine how hard is to move one big wheel, after spin is so easy to maintain the move, same here. In my opinion the biggest efficiency is when move very gentile the pellets, avoid bang or aggressive move.

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Vio,

Check this BP reactor design. Pretty innovative. I like how compact and efficient it is...

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/30/afm-marine-bp-biopellet-reactor/

Is nice , to be honest , i almost make one like that, some resident trow a way a (few) Humidifier (air purifier) made by Air-O-Swiss, the one u post is nice, they use the huge advantage of that cylinder, u use less energy to move the BioPellets, works like "ramp" , what i really don't like, is when u have to add or remove (some BioPellets) the bio mass of pellets is very,very sensitive, u may lose the culture by playing around, in my case ( NO top) is easy to add or remove by siphon out some pellet w/out disturb , if you stop the pump ( clog,broke or etc.) is very easy to understand , the most (90%) of Bacteria leave inside reactor, that the reason i like BP, i dose in past Vodka, Vinegar then hole tank become a "Reactor". List that what i believe. Thank You.http://momsfocusonline.com/win-air-...ir-washerhumidifier-299-99-ends-on-dec30.html

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
It looks like they have a top that opens to refill the pellets. It definitely doesnt need as much energy as they told me the reactor should be in same chamber as sump since it wont have enough pressure to go up and over the baffle. There is a threaded output on the backside so you can connect s tube to bring it to the skimmer. I can drill a hold in my baffle, thats no big deal. I really like this design. Would get me to run pellets with a reactor like this. Let's figure out a diy on this one :)

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I just make one more for friend of mine, i find plastic bowl $ 3 and change, super, super easy to work , cut and sand (1000 times much easy than that porcelain , i make the big one) i still don't believe is mandatory to use the output direct to the Skimmer, my new tank i setup in March (this Year) i got already sponges grow up, my COCO worm grow list 2", all water filters ( i got also 3 clams) benefit of some (dead) mature Bacteria, the old bacteria got "vent" out via Protein Skimmer any way, is just the matter of time, that way i like Flow and flow and flow.lol

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 180

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Vio, what do you think of one of these. My tank is only 65. BRS recommends 1 cup of pellets...

01981f3fda2314c56b00823e65f893b7.jpg

Drill a hole in the side for input from pump with a uniseal and either drill strainer on bottom directly or do same as input with a pvc strainer. Put in sump sideways and crank it up.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Can put the input opening on the bottom too and use an elbow to aim in perfect angle (otherwise was thinking of getting a 45) i like the idea of bottom being strainer too. I think i'm going to make one with one of these as proof of concept.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
recirculating i think is just a luxury, all u need is some kind of ramp, to avoid bang or grind the BP, if u use something to help the bio mass to stay around every pellets that all u need, if the move is aggressive the bio mass will NOT form, then Bacteria wont multiply.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
you can use hang on hook (Reactor) next to Berlin Filter Socks b4 Protein Skimmer.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 162

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: