KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The finished frame

Finally finished the cover to keep the wrasses from jumping out. I bought the screen frames but they come with only 4 corners per pack and I wanted to have a door on each side of the tank for ease of feeding plus I can't manage to keep my hands out of the tank...
I tried to make the covers using corner braces but was not pleased with how they looked so I caved and bought 2 more packages tonight (HD does carry the extra corners...in the Spring...and that would reduce the cost by $20). I got stuck buying 2 different color frames since the selection this time of year is poor at best.

I used nuts and bolts to attach the hinges as the frames are hollow inside and I didn't trust sheet metal screws for the wear these will get.

The piece of eggcrate in the rear covers the area that I couldn't frame out due to the OFB & returns. Beneath it is flexible gutter guard as extra protection as I've already had one wrasse escape the tank by jumping through the egg crate.

I will be painting the eggcrate black with the Krylon Fusion paint as soon as it's warmer outside.
Due to the way I cut the new covers & seated them within the frame of the tank, my canopy will still fit onto the tank (canopy is backless & topless due to my light fixture that is hung from the ceiling - 13" above water).

Cost of frames, netting, hinges, (already had the eggcrate) $56
Peace of mind - priceless.

Full view
P1230017_360x480.jpg

Flexible Gutter Guard under eggcrate
P1230016_640x480.jpg

Full frame with 1 door open
P1230015_360x480.jpg

...and no, the 2 hinged doors are not the same size.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes Jon, there are shadows. Noticed them after I posted...not awful but still.
I just flipped them around and now the shadows fall to the rear. IF you only needed one door...less shadows. A smaller door cut to one side?

Not sure what other material could be used to eliminate the shadow...we'll have to give that some more thought.

Thinking...

What about sandwiching the netting between 2 pieces of plexi (not sure what thickness, but needs to be stiff enough not to sag)? Is there a good glue that would hold that and not totally 'white' out the plexi?
BTW- the netting itself isn't obstructing enough light to notice the difference.

Omar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
If you have a dremel/saw: You could get a screen frame kit from lowes or home depot and some cloth mesh or Tulle fabric mesh from bed bath beyond or flower store. You can cut the mesh accordingly and tension with thin rubber tubes included in frame kit)...I got the idea from EDUCATOR AND SMOQ...works great and was all under $20.00

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: