Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Reefer Ratings: (55 (100%)
Friends: (6)
reefiness is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Lengthening distance between APEX Moonlights

Well here goes my next little project. I had to ordered a soldering iron to take care of the battery I replaced so then I started wondering what else I could do. Well I just got myself an LSM and a 5 string of moonlights for over my 48" 120 gallon DT. I know its a bit overkill, but I figured I could always cover up a light if I thought it was too bright, but it would be much more difficult to add lights. Well now that I have it, it's definitely too bright so The plan is to leave 3 over the DT, and move 2 over to the frag tank set up next to my DT. Being that the cable between the led lights is so short the only option I have is to lengthen it.

I decided rather than just lengthen it, I am going to add a barrel connector between the 3rd and 4th moonlights that way If I need to take my canopy off of my DT, I wont have to remove the 2 moonlights from the frag tank but rather will just be able to disconnect it.

So I'm currently waiting for a delivery of 18 gauge wire, heat shrink tubes, flux paste, a "helping hands", and a set of barrel connectors with pig tails so solder to. I will update here when I get things rolling, but for now that's all I have. Just wanted to give people the opportunity to follow along.

If I do succeed in this, just an FYI, I have zero experience with electronics soldering except for the battery I just soldered last week. So if I can do it, anyone can do it
Old 04-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Well it worked! Heres some progress pictures I tried taking.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-17-2018, 02:43 PM
All finished with barrel connected and all. Them moment of truth when there were 3 outcomes.... 1. It didnt work and I need to buy another LED string... 2. It didn't work and it fried the LSM, so need to buy a new module and led string... 3. It works like a charm. Luckily the 3rd option is the one that came true.
Attached Thumbnails