Carlos Czymoch

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello KathyC You have done throughout your project.
Peopl clearance to put their pictures and link
your project in another forum here in Brazil.
I thank you and hugs Czymoch Carlos - S?o Paulo -
Capital - Brazil

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
argh..in the middle of changing a sump..yes, I have a solution & will see if I can verbally describe it (battery for camera is currently in charger) in a little while! Sorry about that, I know you were waiting for that info!!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Here are 2 of the solutions for a bow front tank that I have done in the past. I just recently sold my little bow front, so I can't show you how they look on a tank (not great) , but they are effective for keeping your fish in! :)

This first one is nothing more than a screen cover with an extra piece of plexi added to the front to fill in the 'bow' area. This was 1/4 plexi and it is relatively easy to cut with a jig-saw. Best with a variable speed jig-saw and you need to cut it slowly, but not too slowly or your blade will get melted into the plexi. Do wear protective eye-wear if you try this as the pieces of plexi are extremely hot as you are cutting!
IMAG0238.jpg

This is (obviously) nothing more than a piece of egg-crate used to fill the 'bow' area and the pond netting is attached using cable ties.

This could also be use to create a cover for the CORNER tanks that are so difficult to cover!

**a note about using egg-crate alone. IMO it's an awful idea as way too many fish can fit through egg-crate. I watched my Royal Gramma sail right through a piece of this. If you only have very large fish, then ok, but do also keep in mind that egg-crate severely cuts down on the amount of light getting into your tank!
IMAG0237-1.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Any ideas for a corner tank?

Corner tanks are...not so easy to cover...

See post # 87 on here.
That is a pic of the Velcro cover I started making for special & odd sized tanks. They are time consuming to make for tanks that need a curved edge and a template is required to design them so they fit correctly.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Have you done this with a rimless? I tried to skim the thread and didnt see any examples.

See the 1st pic in Post #87. That is on a Tech tank and the velcro is held onto the edge of the tank by small pieces of Velcro glued (stuck actually) to the top edge of the tank. The cover itself is mesh sandwiched (sewn) together between 2 pieces of non sticky Velcro. It could also be done with white Velcro that might be less obvious on a rimless tank.

The metal screen type cover many folks use could also be done for a rimless but the weight of the cover alone wold not be enough to hold it down if a fish launched itself upwards. It cold be attached to the rim with the industrial strength sticky backed Velcro with strips on the edge of the tank and bottom of the metal frame (hope that makes sense, still kinda tired after Irene's visit this weekend...)

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I just wanted to mention that it was my tank in #87 (the 2nd pic), and I loved the cover...I eventually put velco on my light so the cover would stick to the light when not completely on tank, so I could work in tank and not have the cover in my way.

I loved how I could just wash it int eh washing machine, and it could very easily be moved or put back on tank without help from anyone!

Great design Kathy!
Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Im trying to find that in white/clear. You know of any? Ive found some, but its very tightly knitted.

You do not want anything tightly knitted as it will seriously cut down on the light that gets into the tank and I agree that white will reflect the light.

The black netting that Rookie sent the link for is the correct netting to use as it is very thin and doesn't throw a shadow on the tank, UV protected (so it won't get brittle) and even though it is black, it tends to blend in with the surface of the water.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I've used this for clear mesh although the squares are a tad larger than the black mesh and a little bit more difficult to work with but still manageable. Clear mesh

Not sure if you consider that tightly knit though. I ended up using the clear only because I had the cast net collecting dust. I never used it :lol2:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Hm... so many choices. I was thinking of securing the net via magnets (epox the net to mag) and putting the netting AT water level to try and hide it.

It's hard with a rimless and a ceiling mounted light to keep the clean look and have the net barely visible.

I might go with the black netting Rookie/KC suggested. Can this netting be submerged safely 24/7?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: