duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
okay ive had around 10lbs or so of live rock rumble in my old fuge.there is water still in there but i havent had any lights or water movement in around 2 weeks.i know im going to want to kill whatever is on there .i looked in the search but i didnt see anything about having it in an old setup.do i need to cook the rock or bleach it for a couple of days before i put it in or do i still need to put it in the sun for 2 weeks,then bleech it.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
put it in a bucket with vinegar for a week or with bleach rinse real good and start to cycle again, or rinse it really well and put it in the oven 425 degree's for a few hour and re-cure

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Good point Matt.

Duke, if you don't have any pests, why bother killing what's good?

how big is your display? Can you add the rock slowly, right to the tank?

I'd add a couple of pieces every week till it's all in there. Check your levels after the first few additions to make sure you're not getting an ammonia spike. Also, if you get NO change in readings, you could add a bit more after you test.

If it were my tank I'd just dump it right in there.

B

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
well no i figured it was sitting in water for around a month or so with no heater no water movement and no light i figured what ever is on that rock no cant be good and since i only have a 30gal now i dont want anytype of ammonia in my tank.and since im in no rush i would like the rock to be perfect going in.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Just throw it in a bucket with some fresh SW a heater and a power head for a little while and take reading of that water. If you get good readings your good to go.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: