• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
here is how i went about adding the gate valve mod to my new skimmer. i have a very small sump and wanted to implement this mod without increasing the overall footprint of the skimmer. i was able to accomplish this by trimming some of the fittings and adjusting the angles such that the valve itself sits above the pump. i'll have to post some updates once it is up and running.

1. i removed 5/8" from one side of the elbow and from 2 sides of the tee
2. instead of the usual lengths of pvc, i used 1 x 7/8", 1 x 1 3/8", and 1 x 3 3/4"

the pictures explain the rest, enjoy!

Terence

PIC00162.JPG

PIC00166.JPG

Pic00165.jpg

PIC00167.JPG

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
so i ran the skimmer with the mod in some hot water to clean it and got some unexpected results. the water level in the skimmer rose all the way to the top of the skimmer body (right below the cone part) and stayed there regardless of how open the gate valve was. i noticed if i capped the open top of the tee, the water level dropped almost to where the pump enters the skimmer body and the gate valve works like a charm to adjust the water level. unfortunately the flow out of the skimmer is reduced to almost nothng due to the suction created so a cap is not the answer.

i think the problem is that the whole valve assembly is too high to effectively control the water level. i ran the skimmer with only the stock riser pipe and the water level dropped several inches. i am going to remove the adjustable portion of the riser and attach the elbow to the skimmer with a small piece of pvc. asmskimmer.com actually recommends this but the picture they have of the g1x configuration seems to still have the riser intact.

stay tuned.....

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
yup removing the riser lowered the water level in the skimmer to just below the black ring at the top of the main skimmer body, now i can adjust the water level by +1.5" using the valve. i am now thinking of cutting off some of the uncut side of the elbow to get the whole assembly even lower and increase the range of adjustment. a street elbow might work even better

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: