What filtration do you use in your SW Tank?

• Sponge (actual sponge), Coal other Artificial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Life Rock, Sump or CPR

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Turf Algae Filter

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (not sump, not artificial)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
OK, many of you know my 14 Gallon stock biocube.
The problem I'm facing is GHA due to tap water being used for water changes & feeding frozen food.
I was able to remedy the problem (not eliminate it) by pruning the GHA manually and by rinsing the shrimps under tap water prior to feeding to Clowns.

Since RO/DI is not an option (too costly and not worth installing while I'm renting short term) I'm going to try to make this Turf Algae Filter that I read about. Here is the setup:
  1. A piece of plastic mesh (PM) will be measured and cut to fit in the mid chamber of the Biocube's back (MC).
  2. Pre-cut PM will be installed as an S curve in the MC
  3. A Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb (CFL) will be installed on the back of the tank stand.
Functionality:
  1. Water will flow over PM through its surface bringing nutrients for algae to grow.
  2. A CFL will supply light through the glass pane of the MC for the algae to grow. Will pick CFL closer resembling "yellow" day light
  3. Algae in the back will consume nutrients needed for algae growth in the display tank and will out compete GHA in the display tank.
Desired results:
  1. Complete elimination of GHA in display tank via replacement by GHA in the back MC.
  2. Elimination of need for skimmer via the same way as above.
Here is the scheme on how it will be implemented at the back of the biocube tank:
taf.jpg

It was fun drawing! - Reminded me of highschool sketching lessons! I tried to stay within actual scale, but could be off a bit.

Any thoughts? - Suggestions?

Last edited:

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
First major step taken!
This night in about one hour I created a DIY fuge light and installed it behind my tank to light-up the fuge (mid) chamber of my tank.
To my great surprise, I found that my chaeto and other macro algae are still alive there! (that's with all the little light they get)
So, now their growth should accelerate and they should starve GHA even more than they did before.
I'll see in a month if I need to continue with the turf filter build. So, don't expect any posts here until about February 1st.
Oh and thank you all for your input on my build!
P.S. I have a problem with my computer, so there will be no pictures for now...

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Replaced the PC light with regular (yellow) CFL light bulb. Also dropped in the tank divider mesh into the chambe.
I think I'm killing two rabbits with one shot: first, this provides surface of turf algae (what is it?) to grow on and second it quieted down my "waterfall from the intake chamber.

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The thing seems to start working! The GHA (which I still have plenty of in display tank) is now growing in the back mid chamber (fuge) too. Hopefully it will overtake the growith in display tank. Planning to yet once again upgrade fuge lighting with a newer diy project involving purchase of supplies from Home Depot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: