Alfredo De La Fe

Ok, trying to see if we can find at least SIX people interested in chipping in and sharing the responsibility for a sea hare. They are inexpensive, but they do such a great job at eating Cyanobacteria and Hair algae that they would starve to death.

As every long time reefer knows, every once in a while a patch of hair algae or cyanobacteria bloom affects even the most seasoned veteran and it certainly affect just about every new tank set-up.

The "sea hare" is an inexpensive animal that does a quick job of eating up both cyano and hair algae. They are relatively inexpensive (MRA had them for $18 yesterday) but they eventually starve and die in a tank because they eat their food supply up very quickly. Not to mention that they are as ugly as sin and they get huge!

We would have to come up with some ground rules: Length of time each person can have it, how it gets acclimated (including protocol to minimize the possibility of transferring parasites and diseases) etc.

If you are in Manhattan or willing to travel to Manhattan to pick up AND drop off a sea hare (This would be the requirement of anyone outside of Manhattan- in Manhattan the person needing it would have to pick it up from the last person that has it)

Thoughts? As people give ideas I will update the information in this post.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Question is 1 sea hare will be enough for all 6 reefers to use in their tanks? Even thou its going to be moving on to other feeders.

Idea: Maybe test the parameters of the first person to receive the sea hare. For example test the parameters before it gets passed off to the second reefer and so on. So no quick loses will be made.

Last edited:

Alfredo De La Fe

These things are little eating machines. I would suggest a minimum of a week per person...

Alfred

Question is 1 sea hare will be enough for all 6 reefers to use in their tanks? Even thou its going to be moving on to other feeders.

Idea: Maybe test the parameters of the first person to receive the sea hare. For example test the parameters before it gets passed off to the second reefer and so on. So no quick loses will be made.

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
My brother is in California and their reefer club started what you guys are thinking about doing. They are at it for about 5 months and they love it. Everyone that is interested has it for one week which in most cases is enough. They do it as a rental basis for $10 a week so just in case it starves and dies they can get another one but that has not happened as of yet. Im definetally in. I can use one for a week.

Alfredo De La Fe

I went to MRA to buy one and they were sold out... Will try again next week. I was actually thinking we can each "give back" the $$$ it cost- so I hold on to it for 1 week, give it to next guy in line and he gives me $20, then he gives it to next person in line and he gives him $20, eventually it comes back to me, I give the person who hands it off to me the $20.

Don't know, if we do this people may not feel as obligated to "pass it on". Need to give it some thought. Either way I don't really care, it is only going to cost about $20. I will spend more on gas and the obligatory dinner with the wife when I go buy it! :D

Alfred

Alfredo De La Fe

I picked one up a few weeks ago. Named him the "booger". Ugly as sin, but he is growing on me. If he stops having enough to eat I will "share the hare". For now, I have very few snails, so I think he is doing OK.

Alfred

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
The question to ask is $20 worth it to have all your hair algae gone?
I think most people will gladly pay that, but to get your investment back is a bonus.

This is a great idea and I think more circles like this should start.
Those who dont trust their asterina stars could start a Harlequin club also.

Wondering if MR would start a section for this.

anselmo145

Experienced Reefer
Sea Hare Needed

I think the Sea Hair furlough idea is great. I am in need of one of those guys that are known to eat hairline algae. I will pay $20 and will travel within Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx if you know of someone who has one to sell. I'm off this week and can pick up at any time. After a week or so, I will no longer need the little guy and would be happy to put him into a furlough rotation with you guys. I will keep you all posted.

I think the Sea Hair furlough idea is great. I am in need of one of those guys that are known to eat hairline algae. I will pay $20 and will travel within Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx if you know of someone who has one to sell. I'm off this week and can pick up at any time. After a week or so, I will no longer need the little guy and would be happy to put him into a furlough rotation with you guys. I will keep you all posted.

if you dont mind traveling a little further, max reefs usually has them in stock i think if i remember right they go for $12 but im not positive i know its definitely $20 or less there thoug....shoot them a quick call

anselmo145

Experienced Reefer
I picked up a Sea Hair a couple of hours ago from Coral Theory in Williamsburg, Brooklyn for $15. They have a great little store there. The guy there was very helpful. I drip acclimated the little sucker for a couple of hours and let him loose in the tank. I have very little GHA on my corals and want him to focus on. I tied a small piece of freeze dried sheet algae (1" sq) for him to eat right away. He ate it in less than 3 minutes! He is very ugly. He looks like a cross between a rabid rabbit and an aardvark. I will try to keep him around for a couple of weeks before I pimp him out to you guys.

anselmo145

Experienced Reefer
OK, my wedge sea hare is ready to devour the hairline algae in your tank. I'm at E 4th Street and Ave A in Manhattan,. Parking is a *****, but I can do curbside delivery in the evenings. PM if interested. This is not for newbies, or for folks with poor water parameters. I am informed that the sucker will discharge a purple ink if it is stressed. The ink can be poisonous to some of your corals. Cover your intakes too. I've heard that they get stuck in then. Good idea to put some extra carbon in a media bag and throw it in your sump, for precaution. Slow drip acclimate to avoid stress.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: