sanjay

Very glad to see that at least the MR membership is considering this. I like to see member driven initiatives, rather than those being pushed from the top.

I too remember the good old days, when the coral love was all shared. But time and things change. I still have a rather large core group that I share corals with and who are very happy to share them with me.

I do understand the escalating costs of the hobby, and the need to try to offset some of the cost with coral sales, but at the same time its important to keep the spirit of swaps and sharing going. Striking a good balance is necessary.

its the masses that dictate the culture the pervades a society by thier actions. If you want a coral flea market that is what you will get. If you want a DBTC type system then start changing the culture. Make an effort to not sell that rare coral that everyone wants - share it first. In the end the good will prevail (inspite of a few failures). You don't judge a society or culture by the few that fail to abide by the cultural norm, but by the majority that follow it.

I am just glad to see that the right kind of talks have started here.

sanjay.

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Very glad to see that at least the MR membership is considering this. I like to see member driven initiatives, rather than those being pushed from the top.

I too remember the good old days, when the coral love was all shared. But time and things change. I still have a rather large core group that I share corals with and who are very happy to share them with me.

I do understand the escalating costs of the hobby, and the need to try to offset some of the cost with coral sales, but at the same time its important to keep the spirit of swaps and sharing going. Striking a good balance is necessary.

its the masses that dictate the culture the pervades a society by thier actions. If you want a coral flea market that is what you will get. If you want a DBTC type system then start changing the culture. Make an effort to not sell that rare coral that everyone wants - share it first. In the end the good will prevail (inspite of a few failures). You don't judge a society or culture by the few that fail to abide by the cultural norm, but by the majority that follow it.

sanjay.
Well said.

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
I'd def be in to do this and to help in any way possible!!! My tank is rather new so I don't have any frags yet but im def willing to do this when I am able to. Imagine if we could combine or intermingle with BAR and have an even bigger program.I'm thinking to big here aren't I? I'm just really excited about this as well!!!
Jay

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Unfortunately it's not possible (nor desirable, IMO) to "keep people honest". The hope is that by the time a reefer has become a club member and been introduced to the spirit of community and sharing that a hobbyist club offers, they'll see the benefit of behaving in a community oriented way. If not for the sake of the community, then at least for the sake of the animals. The BAR program simply assumes that the vast majority of participants will behave correctly and proceeds from there. It's a true "Pay it Forward" program both in terms of the actual coral being exchanged and the spirit of generosity and goodwill that goes with it.

Now that i think about it some more... your right. If change the thinking of the comunity, there is no really need to "keep people honist" I guess the key is the was we introduced to the community. I think that people gernerally want to do the right thing and in this case will...

latino277

Advanced Reefer

sanjay.

I have to been honest here.... when i posted this i thought it would run in a completly diff direction and I'm glad that we are working on this for the right reasons... reducing the stress on the envornment, prop coral, and Helping out a fellow reeffer.

We have a good group of people here to get this started and because of this I'm confident that this will work well with in MR.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Imagine if we could combine or intermingle with BAR and have an even bigger program.I'm thinking to big here aren't I? I'm just really excited about this as well!!!
Jay

Jay, I really don't think we are far away from this and in fact the foundation and 1st step to this have already been taken.

dabo765

Experienced Reefer
Well even there is a for sale /trade forum here I have to give a lot of credit here to a lot of MR members here,the reason I said that is that even when you buy a pice of coral ,when you go to pick it up ether you get a very large pice that is worth a lot more or they give you somthing extra for free,like for example yesterday one of the members pm me to ask me if I wanted some frags for free.My point is that here at MR the members have there harts in the right place I personaly dont think that our members are sellfish or greety.Defitnaly I think is a good idea,if it has to start with ahand pick peopple let it be.

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
I think all you need is a separate forum on this site. Then let whoever starts,...start. Whatever qualifications they put on their offering,...so be it. No rules except a basic understanding of the Pay It Forward concept.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
I don't see this being a problem for the MR family. I know there are many, if not the majority of the members that are constantly giving away frags. And sometimes even whole corals. There are a few pieces in my own tank that were given to me out of total kindness as testament to it. Louismustdie, Randy(Prattreef), Michael Stern(NYAquatic), Slamajama/Mountainreef, KathyC, RStimeout, pEEshEE, Tosiek, JLaudio come to mind.
And if there are those that do not conform to the project, well what can you do.:( One cannot live ones life doing good with the expectation of being paid back. If we did, then no one would do good. Did I just babble on? Sorry!
I for one would not have a problem with giving. Unfortunately I do not have rare pieces, and my tank is basicaly lps/softies.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
lol now how do i frag frags to pass along. i like the idea of giving a coral to someone with a set-up i know will thrive and seeing how the coral will turn out in their tank compared to mine. you can see different growth rates as well as the same coral isnt going to always have the same coloring. and i still want to know who got the purple haze piece that was sent :irked:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Yep, what Jim said.

If you can start with a small group of people that believe in the vision of the program, you can grow it from there.

we already have small groups that trade with each other. I know I've traded or given away as much coral as I have sold here.

keeping people honest will have to depend on the honor system.

autoponicz