Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hi guys
SpectraPure has a sale for an ro/di unit. I never had an ro/di unit and want to buy one. I know that a 5 stage unit is reccomended over a 4 stage unit. Also NYC water, eventhough is pretty good for drinking, has a high amount of small particles that might cut the life of the membrane by half. A member suggested to have a .5 micron filter. Is the following unit good for nyc?

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_RODI-REFURB.htm

Price is not why I am looking at that unit. I can spent up to $250, so if i need to spent more, i'll spent more. I was just wondering if that particular unit is good, i'll save some mone to spend on a few corals.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
air water ice carries a 5 stage for ~140$ that will do much better than the second RO/DI that you listed for 120$.

The first spectrapure filter is pricy and if I were you I would get something with 1 DI chamber. You don't really need two. Air water ice also carries the typhoon III that is the same price without the 2 DI chambers. The jump from 150-260 is really up to you because your only getting the inline TDS and maybe 2-3 other goodies with the unit over the 150$ one. If you just want to make water you only need to spend 150$ leaving you with an extra 100$ to spend on coral.

Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
air water ice carries a 5 stage for ~140$ that will do much better than the second RO/DI that you listed for 120$.

The first spectrapure filter is pricy and if I were you I would get something with 1 DI chamber. You don't really need two. Air water ice also carries the typhoon III that is the same price without the 2 DI chambers. The jump from 150-260 is really up to you because your only getting the inline TDS and maybe 2-3 other goodies with the unit over the 150$ one. If you just want to make water you only need to spend 150$ leaving you with an extra 100$ to spend on coral.
Never heard of that brand name. I am reading about it. Do you have that unit?

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

CDANN76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

put very well....BUT I have been using 0.5-1 micron sed and carbon block for a long time now and need to replace the filters when my pressure gauge starts to drop(or every 6mos..)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: