KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Here is a link to the skimmer he is asking about:
http://www.aquacave.com/sump-buddy-40-downdraft-brprotein-skimmerbr-by-ae-tech-1816.html

My 2 cents...this skimmer is rated for a 180. It is often suggested that you go for a skimmer that will easily handle a tank twice the size of its rating.

Is there any way that you can mod your current sump/baffles so that you can fit a skimmer with a larger footprint in there? Lots of folks are wild about the cone shaped skimmers and having good success with them.

Can you tell us a little more about the tank please? You state med-stocking level, what fish do you currently have? Any pics :)

I'm sure you will get a few suggestions here on MR. These folks love to talk skimmers!

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
I'm sure you could find a nice Space Saver skimmer such as a Super Reef Octopus which come external or internal space savers also BubbleKing Mini's would be a great space saver just a bit more money than a SRO both great skimmer's and as for me I would go with SRO unless I had the xtra cash to spend than id go with a bk mini ither 180 or 200 imo gl

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I'm sure you could find a nice Space Saver skimmer such as a Super Reef Octopus which come external or internal space savers also BubbleKing Mini's would be a great space saver just a bit more money than a SRO both great skimmer's and as for me I would go with SRO unless I had the xtra cash to spend than id go with a bk mini ither 180 or 200 imo gl

+1
I recommend the Super Reef Octopus, and the SS models have a much smaller footprint as the pump is inside the skimmer body.
But if you can, I'd try to get a bigger sump so you can fit a bigger skimmer. IMO, a good skimmer usually makes the difference between a healthy tank and a not so successful tank.

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I would say the ae tech sump buddy is a little out dated and u you find something quit a bit more efficient , quite and still fit what the sump 40 would. Swc makes a great skimmer. Check them out

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: