ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Someone I know purchased an LED fixture off Amazon and I had the opportunity to take some PAR readings. This is the fixture http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-120W-provide-natural-sunlight-seaweeds/dp/B0058RXPOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311791171&sr=8-2. It looks a lot like the chineese version that others in the reef hobby are selling for hundreds more. I also took reading off the ones that are being sold in LFS and Amazons has better readings. In all fairness, the lfs fixture has 2w led's. Amazons has 3w led's.

AMAZON LED

Product Features (Copied from Amazon):

- Based on 55x 3W high power LEDs. Blue 25*3w LED; White: 30*3w LED
- 2 power cord system: 1 Cord controls the White LEDs and 1 Cord controls the blue LEDs
- Powerful 120W LED Aquarium Light can replace 400W Metal Halide Lamp, save 90% on electricity bills
- No need to buy additional expensive cooling system
- For use of fish tank lighting, seaweed cultivation, coral, fish, etc
Not mentioned on Amazon
- Power cords are detachable like on a computer
- 2 ON/OFF Switches. One for the White and one for the Blue
- Has an Aluminum type Reflecter

*NOTE: Please take into consideration that the numbers below will vary in different setup as some setups might have clearer water than others.

*NOTE: Readings started getting difficult at 14" depth cause of corals and rock work.

Fixture is 6" above water line

wl = Water Line

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

In water PAR readings

Water Line --------------- 670

Right below wl------------ 420

8" below wl--------------- 170

*14" below wl------------- 85

20" below wl-------------- 62

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Out of water PAR readings

6" below fixture---------- 670

12" below fixture--------- 228

18" below fixture--------- 112

24" below fixture--------- 67

30" below fixture--------- 45

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Who knows what kind of Quality you're getting despite the PAR readings but it's a good price.Not sure if it'll be good enough for clams and Anemones.

It looks like the same fixture that all the lfs/sellers sell (chineese version) for $300-$400 and claim to be the best. As a matter a fact, I think the Amazon leds are better cause of the features that it has:

Not mentioned on Amazon
- Power cords are detachable like on a computer
- 2 ON/OFF Switches. One for the White and one for the Blue
- Has an Aluminum type Reflector

I'm just posting my findings and trying to help fellow reefers out. I have not purchased one, but I know someone that did. We took reading of the $350 Led and the Amazon Led and the Amazon came out on top. I currently have AI's but I'm looking for a cheap LED for an LPS tank. I think these will be perfect. JMO

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The case is the same as the APOLLO lights i bought. The LED board is different and APOLLO claims its not chinese i hope not thats why i bought them im trying hard with everything in life to buy USA but damn is it hard.

The case is gonna be 16*8.5*2.5 The coverage is 24 inch square. They are enough for clams and i never known anenomes to be so light demanding ive had great success with florescents before T5's so i cant see any problem there.

Nice price worth a try, i would check for a UL listing if it has a UL listing they should be safe.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have 2 of the ones sold in LFS' (the $350 worse one) over a 120 (4x2) and they cover the whole tank and are strong enough that SPS are growing to about 1/2 way down (caps and encrusting montis). I'm going to try just one of them on my new 50 breeder (36"x18") and see how that goes.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
The case is the same as the APOLLO lights i bought. The LED board is different and APOLLO claims its not chinese i hope not thats why i bought them im trying hard with everything in life to buy USA but damn is it hard.

The case is gonna be 16*8.5*2.5 The coverage is 24 inch square. They are enough for clams and i never known anenomes to be so light demanding ive had great success with florescents before T5's so i cant see any problem there.

Nice price worth a try, i would check for a UL listing if it has a UL listing they should be safe.

It will be damn hard for you then because you cannot buy Cree XPs based light-the chips are made in China, and you cannot buy Epi based ones either-they are made in Taiwan. You are left with BridgeLux. The non-Cree aquarium light that looks like the link are usually either BridgeLux or Epi, so you have 50% chance of getting the preferred version. :biggrin: BTW, if the case looks like the link, 99.999999% the case is also made in China. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

nautilus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Total wattage is irrelevant for PAR intensity is what the corals need. It might look very brigh for your eyes (blinding) but still lacks punching PAR power. You could have high wattage yet low PAR reading, which is just OK for some zoas, softies and chalices. You could have lower wattage yet high PAR reading, which is necessary for SPS, some LPS and BTA's. I keep the same LEDs from Amazon and Ebay and I use it for my tank with low PAR requirement as well as shallow frag tank with SPS which yields good result as for growth and coloration. Therefore, IMO, The LED mentioned here is good for tank with low PAR requirement or shallow frag tanks if you wish to have SPS.
Thanks for sharing this info Ric.

Archreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 72.7%
8   3   0
I have 2 Apollo LED's over my 90, and here are my par readings. All readings are under the surface.

12" 590 par
18" 325 par
24" (sandbed) 210 par
Under the glass center support (oceanic tank) 170par in the sandbed

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For $167 bucks?

I'll pick one up and give it a try. Currently I have 2 - 250w MHs running over a 4' tank. I might take one down and compare side by side, I don't care much for sps and don't really need the punch anyway, I'll report back in a month or two.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: