Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
When setting up my 65 gallon mini-reef, I knew I wanted alternating currents to reduce dead spots and create some random flow in my tank. Since this was my first sizable :redface: tank, I decided to try the SCWD, instead of spending more money on a Sea-Swirl or OceansMotions Squirt.

I have the SCWD mounted inline with 3/4" tubing. The two ports alternate the output from my Eheim 1060 return pump. The switching speed depends volume of water flowing through the SCWD, which on my tank is about 10-15 seconds :scratch: Since the unit switches direction gradually, the water motion it creates seems natural to someone viewing the multitude of LPS in the tank. While switching direction, the SCWD does increase headpressure on your return pump, reducing flow :mad:.

While I've read reports that these units require frequent cleanings to prevent the SCWD from getting stuck in one position, I have yet to clean mine in months :theyareon. I guess I'm waiting for that to happen, so that I can have an excuse to upgrade to one of the electrical models I mentioned before :biggrin: For an online price of less than $40, I would recommend it to someone watching their wallet & electrical bill.

Feel free to add your comments and ratings if you have a SCWD as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have a SQWD on my 20 gallon as well. I was really impressed what it did for so little.

I've also never cleaned mine!

The big draw back is the amount of head pressure it put on my system. I should have stepped up to a mag 9 instead of the mag 7 I had on it. I think it would be a lot better.

B

I

islandsoft

Rating - 98.8%
79   1   0
I have two on my 180 for about 5 years now. Its one of he few pieces of equipment I can recommend without thinking twice. Great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: