miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My durso in my megaflow has 2 very small pin holes.
I run a quite one 700gp. Mine is a 75g. When in full valve open there is that classic water level rising lowering in megaflow......until air is blasted out the return.

I checked durso website, it said remedy is to have drain line end just 1 or 2 " below sump water surface.....so I cut it, now its 2"below surface.

I still have the same issue....its only when return valve is half open, the level in megaflow is stable..ie at half the dia of the durso's horizontal pipe.

In order to utilize full flow....and open return valve fully open, should I make the durso hole on top bigger, if so by how much....how about 0.5" dia.?

This thing is driving me nuts....help!
Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
On a durso set up, if the hole is too large you will start hearing the flow of water down the pvc, it will start sounding like a water fall. If you already made the hole, try to put a small valve on it.

A valve how? You mean attach an airline and to it...a 0.5" or similar plastic valve?

In theory,a bigger hole though noisy will eliminate my water level issue right?

Thx!

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Did you already drill the .5" hole????
The rising, and lowering in your overflow is created because the hole on top of the durso is to small or is clogged. We call this the toilet bowl affect, If their isn't sufficient air going into the U pipe it will cause this. It can be resolved by making the hole a tad larger then it is now.

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The rising, and lowering in your overflow is created because the hole on top of the durso is to small or is clogged. We call this the toilet bowl affect, If their isn't sufficient air going into the U pipe it will cause this. It can be resolved by making the hole a tad larger then it is now.

Haven't drilled hole yet...will do tonight. I saw some google images about airline tubing with valve, gonna do that size hole....just lmk if thats not ok! Thx all!

dimitrge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I had an issue with the durso on a db 75g rr tank. It was like a toilet bowl the water would fluctuate in the overflow. I drilled the hole in the durso bigger till it stabilized. 1/16th at a time then it was good.

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

So what iam learning is....hole should be big enough for water level to be stable, but any bigger than whats needed then it gets noisy right?

Other than noise is there any other disadvantage in making hole much bigger?

Am I fully right or partially right?
Thx

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: