Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I have a Duo 250 watt MH ballast. Now I need to run power cords to the fixture in order to plug them in to the ballast cause the ballast has two outlets, so don't have to have the ballast inside the fixture. With that said:

Does anyone know what gauge do I need to look for when I go to Lowes this morning? Please

Anyone know where I can get a relatively inexpensive MH electronic ballast for my 250 watt MH?
I'm pretty certain one of the 3 ballast in my AquaMedic fixture blew, hence the blown out lamp & smell.

I really need to replace it ASAP before my RBTA decides to go wandering.

Also, is there a diff between the ballast sold through marine internet stores, and the ones sold at electrician's stores? Could I just go to an electrical store, and pick up a ballast?

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Guys, if I were to get a my hands on a MH ballast that has the outlets, can I reconfigure it to work with my light fixture?
My light fixture has the internal little white ballast boxes.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I was told to should use the proper ballast as a replacement when messing with electricity, for safety's sake.

I just recently had to replace the ballast in my Tek fixture - so I took the Model # off the ballast and popped it into Google.
I found the ballast for $12 less at an electrical supply place rather than one of the typical marine places we usually order them through and they shipped it to me that same day. I paid $37 vs the $49 at the marine supply houses.
It was identical to the one that came out of the fixture - except for the brand.
They shipped UPS Ground and I got it in 2 days from Georgia. You might even find one locally!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I got a Duo 250 watt MH ballast!!!!Yipeeeee

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ZIGGY:hug:

Tomorrow morning I will go to Lowes, and pick up wire with 3 prong plug.;)
Just in case I can't find the real electrician: What gauge should I get for this monster ballast?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I need to run power cords to the fixture in order to plug them in to the ballast cause the ballast has two outlets, so don't have to have the ballast inside the fixture. With that said:

Does anyone know what gauge do I need to look for when I go to Lowes this morning? Please:confused:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
And now I just want to cry.;(
I took the end cap off, these are what I found. I tried to take the big boxy white one out, took the screws out. But it won't budge.

Attachments

• AquaMedic MH Ballast.jpg
    AquaMedic MH Ballast.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 72
  • AquaMedic MH Ballast 2.jpg
    AquaMedic MH Ballast 2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 69
  • AquaMedic MH Ballast 3.jpg
    AquaMedic MH Ballast 3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 70

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
It wasn't the ballast after all! It so happens that the 2 transformers that step the darn thing down from 220 to 120 fried. Yes, all the components are German.
Tried to secure a 250 watt M58 ballast with no luck!

Not sure if I can use the ballast I got from Ziggy. The outlets on it are not standard.:(

Currently my tank is being lit by 2 MH lamps & the PC. The left side of my reef is getting some light, but not much.;(
How long can it stay this way?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: