Votes: 8 15.7%
  • LED

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I don't know yet.:teeth: Ask me again next year when I switch over to Wingo's LED.:scratch: So far my preference would be MH with VHO, not the stupid PC I currently have.lol

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I used to have T5's (an still have them above my FW tank) and absolutely loved them. I think they still give the most flexibility and when using quality bulbs like Giesseman corals look great. What I couldn't swallow is the cost of replacing bulbs every year or so so I switched to DIY LEDs. They can't replicate the spectrum of light T5's offer, but they are way more efficient and create less heat which is very important in an overheated NYC apartment I'm live in.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
LEDs I'm still not sure about sps growth with them yet I feel mh might be better but not so much better to justify the extra heat and huge electric cost ! I have a ton of sps in my tank now under 72 3w LEDs so I'll really know in about a yr

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I prefer halides, with LED's a close 2nd. I love the color with T5's but never really got into them on my tanks.

What bulb(s)/ballasts/reflectors are you guy using? And if your planning to try a different one, why and which one?

Last edited:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
The debate will go on forever but they all have their benefits and disadvantages. MH you get the best growth hands down but then you get the heat and electricity issues. T5 has the best mix of color and pretty good growth as well as not using as much electric as MH and much less heat. LED's make colors on certain corals pop like crazy and use less electric but you will not get as much growth. It's really personal preference on what is most important. Personally I like a setup like RKaragozler he has MH for growth and a bunch of reef brites for moonlighting. However I am currently using T5's w/ a blue, a purple and 2 daylight with LEDs for moonlights. When my actinics are on everything looks really awesome. Adding that purple really makes a difference it adds that little something extra to the spectrum that you don't get with anything else. I have acans that were under LEDs and looked ok but under this T5 set up they totally changed colors and look nicer now. Went from blue and orange to pink,red and purple, another one went from red, dark blue and baby blue to a orangey/pink crazy combo.

Different corals will always react to different lighting in different ways.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Nice what figure you get you will b happy just find the right bulb combo let me know if I can help
Thanks - starting to experiment with bulb combos - not so easy to keep taking the fixture down, changing a bulb, then putting it back up to try an notice any differences - not to mention ordering the various bulbs i want to try out. Gotta pick the combo, then even the positioning which may have an effect. In any event, dont want to derail this thread, you can view my thread on T5 bulbs and share your most valuable input there.

But on the topic, that is mostly what led me to T5 - a very practical flexibility in customizing the color output using the different bulb combinations (with LED you are pretty much limited to different intensities of the colors available in the fixture, with MH as well you a limited to coloration of the bulb you choose.) I had 3x 400W 20k MH which I replaced now with a 48" 8x54w T5 fixture (saving about 800W, and a lot of heat).

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
I'm personally not sold on LED lighting as of yet (a lot of experience on the retail end during the initial wave of LED light coming into the hobby and thought it was just OK) I have personally run MH w/supplemental blue LED and was happy but not until I put T5 over my tank did things really pop with color and I get great growth as well. I still haven't seen a LED lit tank that made me say "I gotta have LEDs" I'm waiting though :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: