thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I just picked up 2 Brute cans for RO and SW. But I want to make sure that I will be putting the right amount into my tank.

So lets say I calibrated the cans.

Using a 1 gallon container (that i checked with measuring cups) I filled up the pail 1 gallon at a time. I then used a piece of Pex tubing and marked that tubing with the level. I plan on now getting a nail and heating it up and scoring the inside of the bucket at the correct levels.

If you want the measurements for the markings on the tube, here they are. Just note this is not going to be perfect, but damn close.

Gal Measurement from Bottom
2 2 3/8
4 4 1/8
6 5 3/5
8 7 3/8
10 9
12 10 3/4
14 12 1/4
16 13 7/8
18 15 1/2
20 17
22 18 1/2
24 20 1/8
26 21 1/2
28 23
30 24 3/8
31 25
32 25 3/4

2011-12-12121622.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Then again you could have asked :) We had a thread about this just recently.

The 10G mark on a 32g Brute can is 18 1/2" below the VERY top of the can
The 20G mark is 5 3/4" below the very top edge of the can

I find it far easier to measure the water from the top down, than from the bottom up..it made a mess of my tape measure :(

I wrote the figures right on the top of my Brute cover in permanent marker so I wouldn't lose them:)

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I remember that.... But what about all the measurements in the middle? I also plan to get a close as possible calculation with amount of Salt per gallon. This will enable me to make any amount of SW that is needed (depending on how much RO i have).

I will not have to actually measure any more. I can just stick the tube into the water and look at the marking. But I plan to just transpose the markings to the INSIDE of the barrel. So I can just look in and see how much water is there

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I remember that.... But what about all the measurements in the middle? I also plan to get a close as possible calculation with amount of Salt per gallon. This will enable me to make any amount of SW that is needed (depending on how much RO i have).

I will not have to actually measure any more. I can just stick the tube into the water and look at the marking. But I plan to just transpose the markings to the INSIDE of the barrel. So I can just look in and see how much water is there

Since I use ESV salt I only use the 10 or 20G mark (one could mix different quantities like 5g or 30G but to following their directions/chart for mixing I wouldn't use all of those other odd gallon markings anyway :)) and I actually use less water than suggested since most salt mixes to 1.021 or 1.023 ..and I adjust with RO after I do the main mixing to get the Salinity I want.

..oh, and I eyeball it on the can, I've done it so many times, I know where the water level needs to be..but nice work!! :)

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well I figured since I was doing it, might as well have more than less.

You probably have figured out how much salt exactly to add to the water to get your desired SG.

I wanted the multiple in case I dont have a full bucket of RO, and if i need to do an emergency WC, i can them pump the ro into the bucket and then know how much salt to add. I have to work on calculating the amount of salt needed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: