b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I am looking for a skimmer for my 240 gallon tank. My skimmer will be in a 125 gallon sump with while running a 75 gallon refugium. I have been looking at the following:
ASM G4xx-rated for 450 gallons
ASM G5-rated for 700 gallons
ASM G6x-rated for 1200 gallons
VERTEX ALPHA 250 cone-rated 450
VERTEX APLHA 300 cone-rated 225-600
REEF OCTOPUS EXTREME xs350-rated 400

These are my choices unless there are other suggestions. Please let me know.
P.S. I did read the skimmer thread from 5-6 years ago. It made me more confused. Thank you manhattan reef

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
What's your budget overall? I know you listed some skimmers but there's quite the range here.
I have never used an ASM, but most I've read has been negative. They're essentially Euro Reef knock offs that aren't bad designs per se, but there's definitely better skimmers out there for the money.

The Vertex Alphas have a good rep as well. You might have issues with customer service if anything happens to the Red Dragon. I've heard nothing but horror stories regarding customer service w/ the company. The Red Dragons are EXPENSIVE pumps to replace as well.

Take a look at the Super Reef Octopus models. They're well balanced skimmers with good pumps. Good value for the money. The SRO XP's are the cone versions. Good skimmers as well.

Try to buy a skimmer with a good, reliable pump if you can. Tunze, ATB Airstar, (newer) Sicces, Bubble Blasters, etc... Those are good pumps.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
reef octopus are better than asm, not that asm is bad its just that reef octopus is a little bit better. im not sure on the vertex's never worked with them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: