ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'm currently in the middle of setting up a brand new deep blue 60 gallon tank (48"L x 24"D x 12"h) With a aqua euro skimmer 250 aqua bee pump in a aqueon proflex model 3 sump With a phosban 150 and 2 200 watt halides and actinic blue power compacts along with a new apex unit with lab grade probes......so I'd like to upgrade my lighting to LEDs , I also need a strong accurate heater and chiller.....I'd also like to get a good ato unit been thinking about the tunze with optical reading......any info on automatic water changes ...I should've posted this about a month before Christmas .....oh well I might have to send Santa my wish list a little late this year lol

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I have 2 Ai sol blues on my 57 rimless oceanic and love it. Since your tank is 48" I would say if you want to go with the Ai Lyly will need 3 of them. If you are thing of switching to LEDs chances are you will not need a chiller no more.?. Hope you have a big stocking to se if Santa can bring them to you...lol

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I have 2 AI sol's on my 75, but it is only 18 deep, but def has enough light for mine. Not sure if you would need 3 since your tank is very shallow, you can raise them higher and hopefully still get the par you need on the SB

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I have 2 Ai sol blues on my 57 rimless oceanic and love it. Since your tank is 48" I would say if you want to go with the Ai Lyly will need 3 of them. If you are thing of switching to LEDs chances are you will not need a chiller no more.?. Hope you have a big stocking to se if Santa can bring them to you...lol

Good point with the chiller I'm really not trying to buy one....and if Santa were to actually bring them to me I'd make sure I had big enough stockings lol

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I have 2 AI sol's on my 75, but it is only 18 deep, but def has enough light for mine. Not sure if you would need 3 since your tank is very shallow, you can raise them higher and hopefully still get the par you need on the SB

Do u know how they are rated....what is the coverage you get on yours?

A fellow reefer I met yesterday to make a purchase was telling me about these strong led light that came in a canister about the size of a can of soda , anyone know what I'm talking about.......
.....p.s. I starting reading the unofficial user guide yesterday for the Apex unit....holy cow with the programming codes!!! I'm nervous to get the unit in the mail lol still haven't gotten it yet cuz the lab grade probes took longer to get , the guy from saltwater eddies said there selling like hot cakes for the holidays saltwater eddies.com has great customer service by the way!

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Do u know how they are rated....what is the coverage you get on yours?

A fellow reefer I met yesterday to make a purchase was telling me about these strong led light that came in a canister about the size of a can of soda , anyone know what I'm talking about.......
.....p.s. I starting reading the unofficial user guide yesterday for the Apex unit....holy cow with the programming codes!!! I'm nervous to get the unit in the mail lol still haven't gotten it yet cuz the lab grade probes took longer to get , the guy from saltwater eddies said there selling like hot cakes for the holidays saltwater eddies.com has great customer service by the way!

I have no probs with the coverage on my tank no dark spots by any means. I also don't have them turned up yet. I need to get a par meter to make sure I don't turn them up too high. They are definitely bright. I am not sure how you plan on mounting them, but you can always get 2 and see how they work out. You can always add a third if you think that you need it. But remember the back of your tank will be rock (most likely) so you only need the light to go in front. I actually have my lights slightly forward over my tank. Anything on the top of the rocks will get plenty of light since they are closer to the surface.

Check out my thread build below (75 Gal) to see my setup.

The APEX guide is wild, I have read through it and I do not have one yet. I have helped a few people with the network settings.

I will have one soon tho!

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I have no probs with the coverage on my tank no dark spots by any means. I also don't have them turned up yet. I need to get a par meter to make sure I don't turn them up too high. They are definitely bright. I am not sure how you plan on mounting them, but you can always get 2 and see how they work out. You can always add a third if you think that you need it. But remember the back of your tank will be rock (most likely) so you only need the light to go in front. I actually have my lights slightly forward over my tank. Anything on the top of the rocks will get plenty of light since they are closer to the surface.

The APEX guide is wild, I have read through it and I do not have one yet. I have helped a few people with the network settings.

I'll sign a waiver requesting that anyone who has read that users guide and understands it should at least receive a 50 percent discount on the product....lol......have you heard of thoses small canister led lights?

JOHANNA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
The leds that look like a soda can are Made by Kessil. I think someone has one for sale in the forum. It looks pretty cool, I think you might need 3 or 4 of them. They dont appear to have that much spread, and they are somewhat expensive.

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
The leds that look like a soda can are Made by Kessil. I think someone has one for sale in the forum. It looks pretty cool, I think you might need 3 or 4 of them. They dont appear to have that much spread, and they are somewhat expensive.

thanks Johanna the reason i ask about them is because im guessing that is something i can hang from my ceiling and it would look more modern in the house then a big bulky light above ......

does anyone know if it is bad to keep a mag 9 directly next to an aqua bee pump? i have my skimmer in the last chamber in my sump =(

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
thanks Johanna the reason i ask about them is because im guessing that is something i can hang from my ceiling and it would look more modern in the house then a big bulky ligh above ...

I made a thread on how I mounted my Ai over my tank.. There are a few different threads on how people mounted theirs u can just do a search on them, but here's mine hope this gives you a idea:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/105694-aqua-illuminations-sol.html

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
ok so i finished ro water last night and mixed in salt to get this motha up and running , now my main issue is that i have my protein skimmer in the last chamber of my sump because im saving the middle chamber for my fuge.... i turned my skimmer on just to watch it skim because im curious on how the new skimmer works although there isnt much to skim right now, the skimmer is skimming well and has nice rich bubbles coming to the top of the unit but when it releases the skimmed water back to the sump im getting all the micro bubbles along with it and the main sump pump is right next to the skimmer pump so its pumping all the little bubbles back into the main tank HELP!! i really dont want to sacrifice the middle chamber for the skimmer cuz its already setup with factory cover and fuge light ........my sump could use probably another 5-10 gallons to raise the water level in the last chamber im wondering if this would effect the skimmer by relieving pressure in the canister and keep the bubbles more towards the top instead of coming all the way back down into the output .....hmmmm ill try to get some pics up

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0

Awesome tank btw
The only reason I'm worried is because my tank is 24 x 48 but than again if your tank is 48 than I guess each light your getting at least 12 and 12 on each side of your light so 2 light would equal 48 so therefore I guess it should cover the 24 as well

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
you should have baffles after the skimmer going to the return pump area.

also every skimmer has a water level that it needs, to work properly. do a search on google and you will find it.

I added temp plexiglas baffles just standing in place at first which helped but obviously didn't help the skimmer from the bubbles escaping I filled the sump with more water which added pressure inside the skimmer so it made it harder for the bubbles to come back down which resolved the problem and I now took the baffles out .....and thanks for the info

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
If you like the look of the Kessil you should check out the blue moon aquatics P30. Nice design and looks pretty powerful. Even has an option for a ring with moonlights.
I just checked out the lights and so far youve gotten me in between the p30s 30watt which are competing with the ecoexotic cannon 50 watt
I didn't read anything about either one of them being dimmable
Now I'm a Lil confused with my tank because it's very wide 24 x 48 but only 12 inches high so what would have good spread but not toast anything that's on the ground

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I just checked out the lights and so far youve gotten me in between the p30s 30watt which are competing with the ecoexotic cannon 50 watt
I didn't read anything about either one of them being dimmable
Now I'm a Lil confused with my tank because it's very wide 24 x 48 but only 12 inches high so what would have good spread but not toast anything that's on the ground

Get a dimmable fixture and one that you can also change optics then.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
if your looking for led im going to recommend orphek lights, a little on the more expensive side but probably one of the best if not the best led company out there. their quality destroys the AI but AI is good as well if th orphek is out of your price range

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: