allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the point in the build of needing to order my new protein skimmer since the sump and water tanks should arrive in the next week. The build is a 180 gallon show tank, a 40 gallon fuge, a 112 gallon sump, with a possible later addition of a 30 gallon frag tank. Based on the reviews here and elsewhere I am leaning toward an Reef Octopus SRO5000Int. Or would the Octopus XS350 be a better option? I like the idea of the automatic neck cleaners available. Any thoughts or feedback as to if this is the best choice or might another option be better? Your thoughts and wisdom would be helpful.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Reef Octopus SRO5000Int is way too much skimmer, honestly the best bang for the buck would be a vertex in180, if you dont mind dropping the extra cash get a atb840 or 1050, vertex alpha cone 200

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help

With a 180 gallon tank and another 150 gallons of sump and fuge, dont I have to add them all together for skimming capacity? I tend to overfeed some too, so want a little extra capacity in the skimmer, but also know I dont want too much so its not efficient in skimming. Am glad you responded as I know most folks here refer to you as the skimming expert. Also why a wedge pipe and not a gate valve for adjustment? What makes those models better?

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
wedge pipe is what most skimmers use, its where the end for the outlet gots it is cut at a angle, it doesnt tune as fine as a gate valve though,

once you take rock and sand displacement away your more then likely not alot above 200g. do you have a price range ? we will start with that and will recomend from there

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price Range

Ideally would like to be around $600, so a Octopus SRO-3000 int with neck cleaner works well if thats a good skimmer for my tank. Keeping the skimmer neck clean I know will increase its efficiency so like the idea of automating that instead of every couple of days washing it out. A deltec would be nice but out of my price range for the auto cleaning option.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
personally i am not a fan of their internal skimmers nor do i like how the output is, are you set on a internal or can it be a recirc also ?

SKIMZ SM 201 MONZTER E SERIES
was a beta tester for this one SKIMZ SM 202 MONZTERE SERIES - EXTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER this is a beast

and this should work also SKIMZ SK 222 KONE E SERIES - EXTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: